Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember

from the BBS forum days, I took my Bronco to live with me in the Eastern Canadian Arctic for two years.

Ain't no roads to get there and it's a huge Island(Baffin Island), three times the size of Great Britain, so it had to be shipped.

A buddy trucked it from Ottawa to the docks in Montreal. From there it was slung on board a ship and spent 8 days on the Ocean going out the St. Lawerence River. Then up the Quebec and labradour East coast all the way into the Arctic ocean and down the 130 mile long Frobisher Bay to what is now Iqaluit.

Here's some pics of it on the ship;

There it is perched precariously on top on a sea-can container on top of the deck.

8 days at sea, nice salt water wash no doubt

From Ottawa by truck to the Montreal docks, then by ship up to frobisher Bay (Iqaluit) on Baffin Island. At the time it was the NorthWest territories. When it and I left it was the newly formed territory of Nunavut

Here's the crane slinging her off the container and down to its new Arctic home

The tide is 35 feet in 12 hours and has a record of 42 feet. The flat bottom ships just roll, anchor and wait for the tide to drop them onto the tidal flats.

The tidal flats are solid, smooth rock with only a little sand on top, if any.

Once in a blue moon, when there is a need, they just bulldoze a temporary causeway out to the ships so the cargo can be unloaded

It was shipped down, two years later, in reverse order. It's cupped mudders were traded in on street tires and a very extensive and fairly expensive rebuild of virtually everything ensued shortly after it arrived home.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hey, that was kewl! Thanx for the pix!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sar450 said:
That is a crazy tide drop.
You're telling me !

I think it's in the world's top three tides. You have to watch it come in to believe it.

Sixlitre

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Awesome journey, man. I thought this thread was going to start out, "so there I was, wheelin' on top of a cargo ship in the Arctic..." :histerica

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SigEpBlue said:
Awesome journey, man. I thought this thread was going to start out, "so there I was, wheelin' on top of a cargo ship in the Arctic..." :histerica
Heights ain't my thang SigEpBlue

I'd have dropped a load if I was sitting in the Bronco that far on top of a ship ! I never did find out if they tied them down on top of those cargo containers. Guess they must have with all the pitching and yawing a ship does on the ocean.

Shoulda seen the thing when I got it back down here. I'd been down here a year and shipped it and forgot it. One August day I get this call "it's here".

Me and a buddy ripped down to Stevenage and the only window you could seee out of was the front where the wipers had wiped. There was some kinda sea scum all over it, like a Whale has been fantasizing over it.

Deeeese-gustingly dirty.

Drove it less than a mile across the road to where I'd bought the mudders 2 years before. The guy measures the tire wear and says he'll give me 95% of my money as credit towards another set (free).

Up there at -65 degrees the sidewalls had split, so they were obliged to take the tires back. Just my luck that was the time when every Exploder in the nation was getting a new set of 15" tires on Ford and Firestone.

My tire dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. he gave me 5 Dunlop GT sports 275/60/15s for free, NO CHARGE whatsoever.

That's when I decided to rebuild the suspension with urethane bushing and she really felt solid turning corners with those Dunlops.

All in all I had a good time with their mudders for two years and then a free set of 5 Dunlops all for one low price !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
542 Posts
ur bronc looks tiney. i woulda pissed my pants if i sawmine flying through the air

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow, that's freakin' awesome! That is amazing the tide can drop that low! Never seen that happen before. Maybe a few feet at Lake Superior up in Duluth, but never that much. I never would've believed you without the pics.

·
I have C.R.S
568 Posts
The thing I would have worried about is if the seas got real rough. I have a frined that is a merchant marines. He has vidieo of those shipping containers getting washed over the side and lost at sea. I would have been royaly pissed if my bronco was sitting at the bottem of the sea as a new man made reef. :shocked Just glad to hear it made it there and back again.

Nemesis

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nemesis said:
The thing I would have worried about is if the seas got real rough. I have a frined that is a merchant marines. He has vidieo of those shipping containers getting washed over the side and lost at sea. I would have been royaly pissed if my bronco was sitting at the bottem of the sea as a new man made reef. :shocked Just glad to hear it made it there and back again.

Nemesis
I won't lie to you, the nightmare had crossed my mind too.

Edluvsbronc

I don't care for heights AT ALL !

BigRig

I just didn't appreciate what it looked like until I experienced it in a boat. The 35 foot tide is one of nature's truly awesome spectacles.

David

I lived up on Baffin Island, inside the Arctic circle from 98' through 2000. When I went there they were part of the famous "Northwest Territiories" until it was split in half.

During my stay the Eastern half was re-named "Nunavut" and given to the Inuit (Eskimos) to govern as a Canadian Territory (pre-State/Province status).

The Bronco preformed admirably up there the whole two years and got a new longblock when my youngest brother backed her into the Arctic ocean and sent a conrod through the oil pan.

It was something 99.9999% of Canadians will never get to see. Glad I did it, but just as glad to be back in Southern Ontario again:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
531 Posts
Oh it looks so small comparded to the ship...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts