Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
When you mention the Sky kit are you referring to the F250/350 RSK kit or the Bronco specific front hanger SAS kit Sky sells?
I was looking at the bronco SAS kit from SKY because it is more complete. If was to compare the SKY F250/350 kit to the PMF F250/350 kit i prefer the PMF kit. Yes, i have run both :toothless I only switched to the PMF kit because i wanted to upgrade to the SD springs, but i do think it is a nicer piece.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like the Sky Bronco SAS kit but I'm leaning towards the Sky Superduty rsk kit they sell for the OBS. I want the 4 inch lift hanger that comes with the rsk so I can just use the V or X superduty springs and get about a 8-9'' lift. What do you think?

I was looking at the bronco SAS kit from SKY because it is more complete. If was to compare the SKY F250/350 kit to the PMF F250/350 kit i prefer the PMF kit. Yes, i have run both :toothless I only switched to the PMF kit because i wanted to upgrade to the SD springs, but i do think it is a nicer piece.

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
The crumple zone is wider than the straight frame rail, so the 250/350 kit wont fit over your frame horns. But i suppose either way, youre gonna be cutting/welding stuff on the frame anyway, so it probably doesnt matter.

Id say the 4" plus X-code should get you in the 8-9" range. Difference between V & X is about one inch, with the X being taller.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The crumple zone is wider than the straight frame rail, so the 250/350 kit wont fit over your frame horns.

reptillikus I don’t mean to stir the pot, especially because you’re kindly replying to all my questions but are you sure the crumple zone frame horns are significantly wider than the 250/350 frame horns enough to prevent the Sky crossmember from bolting up? The reason I ask is because it appears that member 75F350 on the Ford-trucks website used the Sky kit on his ‘94, look at post 26 and please tell me if I misread something

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/889382-bronco-sas-with-1-ton-gear.html

But i suppose either way, youre gonna be cutting/welding stuff on the frame anyway, so it probably doesnt matter.

Not at all, that’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid, welding at least. I want a drill and bolt up swap (for the most part).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
Nope, not sure at all :toothless

Was just thinking about it; i guess i couldve just went out and looked at my trucks and measured to confirm, but its cold out there :toothless
After looking at that thread, it seems like that would actually be the better way to go :thumbup

·
Registered
210 Posts
Measure them and let us BKO sas lovers know!!! Thank you kindly

Nope, not sure at all :toothless

Was just thinking about it; i guess i couldve just went out and looked at my trucks and measured to confirm, but its cold out there :toothless
After looking at that thread, it seems like that would actually be the better way to go :thumbup

·
Registered
210 Posts
I took a brief look while walking the dogs earlier and i think youre right; the accordion isnt any wider than the straight frame. Ill try to get some measurements tomorrow.

Yes, please let me know! That’d be great news if the frames are about the same measurements because I’m guessing with the 4” shackle hanger kit and some Superduty x springs I’ll be able to get about a 8-9” lift. The dream is to run 40s on my truck.

I’d probably have to strengthen the frame around the shackle hanger though because I’m willing to bet there’s no way the hanger will fit with the frame already boxed.

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
I'm outside looking at both trucks. The larger diesel core support makes it difficult to get measurements, let alone pics. That said...
Both frames appear to have the same dimensions. They're both just a hair under 3" wide. Measuring off the core support body mount, they also both appear to be the same width. So really, the kit for the F250/350 should fit right up onto F150/bronco frame. And considering the design of the kit, I personally would prefer the truck kit as opposed to the bronco sas kit, since you'd be able to weld both sides and the bottom. So yeah I'd say that's the way to go :thumbup

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm outside looking at both trucks. The larger diesel core support makes it difficult to get measurements, let alone pics. That said...

Both frames appear to have the same dimensions. They're both just a hair under 3" wide. Measuring off the core support body mount, they also both appear to be the same width. So really, the kit for the F250/350 should fit right up onto F150/bronco frame. And considering the design of the kit, I personally would prefer the truck kit as opposed to the bronco sas kit, since you'd be able to weld both sides and the bottom. So yeah I'd say that's the way to go :thumbup

You rock man, thank you!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just acquired a Kingpin Dana 60 and I'm getting close to purchasing the SKY front F-250/350 hanger to complete the SAS. I really want to run the Superduty springs for the better ride but I'm not sure if I'll have to install the front hanger too far forward, and I would like to keep my JB Customs front bumper. Can anyone comment on this?

Ten months ago reptillikus confirmed that the front F-250/ 350 hanger should fit on the frame horns of a BKO. I want to mount my hanger right behind the front bumper brackets and then box the crumple zone frame around it. I'm concerned with the axle sitting too far backward. Has anyone done leaf SAS using Super duty springs on a BKO?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, i stumbled across this forum and was wondering if any of you could help me out. i installed the Sky SAS kit, and i used the SD front springs. the problem ive run into, is 1) with the SD springs the wheel isn't close to center of the wheel well, even with me extending the front of the frame out 1". 2) The front with the SD springs is so stiff that its miserable to drive on and off road no matter what shocks im running. my bronco spends most of its life in the dirt, and even with new shocks on its so bouncy as if i didn't have shocks. would running the 97 f250/350 springs change either of these issues? thanks in advanced.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you mind posting some pics of the front hanger and shackles to get an idea of what is going on? I suggest you add these( https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17722) in the front the EZ inch, allows you move the axle 1 inch or 1.5 inches forward without have to move the leaf spring locations. Your experience with the SD springs almost makes me want to go with OBS springs for my SAS.

Hey guys, i stumbled across this forum and was wondering if any of you could help me out. i installed the Sky SAS kit, and i used the SD front springs. the problem ive run into, is 1) with the SD springs the wheel isn't close to center of the wheel well, even with me extending the front of the frame out 1". 2) The front with the SD springs is so stiff that its miserable to drive on and off road no matter what shocks im running. my bronco spends most of its life in the dirt, and even with new shocks on its so bouncy as if i didn't have shocks. would running the 97 f250/350 springs change either of these issues? thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are the stock springs off the f250. The shocks that are in the first picture (white and red) were rancho shocks that came with the SD. I currently replaced them with OEM shocks from a 2019 F250. the new shocks didn't make any change in ride quality. Here are some more pics. my next move was to try and take out one leaf and replace with maybe the EZ inch as posted above^ Thanks guys!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the pics mattwins18, from what I can see the shackle angle and pinion angle look good, to me. I know the SD springs are about 4 inches longer than the standard OBS F-250/350 springs so that might be causing problems with the alignment in the wheel-well despite having the front hanger all the way to the edge of your frame. How far away from perfect center would you say your front wheels are? Lastly, I know it may be too late, but if you were to run this kit :

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/85-91-f-250-350-front-suspension/products/copy-of-85-91-ford-f-350-4x4-2-front-shackle-reversal-superduty-spring

it probably would've been better because the front hanger is angled more to give the springs "more distance" from eye to eye, allowing you to move the rear shackle hanger forward up the frame thus, moving you axle forward and correcting your wheelbase. Hope to hear what other members have to say.

They are the stock springs off the f250. The shocks that are in the first picture (white and red) were rancho shocks that came with the SD. I currently replaced them with OEM shocks from a 2019 F250. the new shocks didn't make any change in ride quality. Here are some more pics. my next move was to try and take out one leaf and replace with maybe the EZ inch as posted above^ Thanks guys!
View attachment 150550 View attachment 150553 View attachment 150551 View attachment 150552

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
@ mattwins18 I recommend that you start a new/your own thread asking for help with this same issue, I'm genuinely curious as to what other memebers have to say, and this thread is a bit old.

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
Thanks for the pics mattwins18, from what I can see the shackle angle and pinion angle look good, to me. I know the SD springs are about 4 inches longer than the standard OBS F-250/350 springs so that might be causing problems with the alignment in the wheel-well despite having the front hanger all the way to the edge of your frame. How far away from perfect center would you say your front wheels are? Lastly, I know it may be too late, but if you were to run this kit :

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/85-91-f-250-350-front-suspension/products/copy-of-85-91-ford-f-350-4x4-2-front-shackle-reversal-superduty-spring

it probably would've been better because the front hanger is angled more to give the springs "more distance" from eye to eye, allowing you to move the rear shackle hanger forward up the frame thus, moving you axle forward and correcting your wheelbase. Hope to hear what other members have to say.

Yeah, hate to say it but i agree, i think youve got the wrong kit. So i guess id just swap out for OBS springs.

If you want to stay with your leafs then definitely drop that 3 leaf from the pack; im running the X-Code leafs in my F250 PSD, which is the highest rated leaf Ford ever put in the SDs, and it looks like your pack, but only 2 leafs. You definitely dont need that 3rd leaf under there.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts