Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching the forums and trying to figure out what springs to use with the sky offroad superduty swap for broncos. I see you can use the superduty/excursion springs or use the obs f250 springs with the kit that are shorter. Is there any major drawbacks to the obs springs? My only reason for asking is because, my frame has been "modified" by the previous owner, who raise the end of the frame 3 inches front and back to accommodate a body lift. So the frame would have to be unmodified to fit the superduty springs. Is it worth me getting a new frame to run superduty springs or will I be fine running obs springs? Rig will be a weekend warrior/cruiser with mild rock crawling a few times a year. Planning to run 40s with as little lift as I can manage and this seems like a good route. Rig in question is a 1986 bronco. If this isnt the correct forum please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the frame horns are cut, id have to assume that no matter which kit you buy, youll need to fix the frame first.

At that point, ive run both and the Superduty springs are the way to go.
The frame is cut in a way that the obs springs would fit, but anything more than that would rest on the repaired section. And the section is so short, I feel like I'm probably best off with a new frame. Maybe try to find a serpentine engine to help turn the 40s.

·
ate lug
8,477 Posts
They cut approx 2-3" off the front, moved it up and rewelded it. Seen it done before, but not in a long time. Kind of an old-school way to correct for a body lift. The Superduty kit might still work.

This is PMF's 2.25" kit on my 96 F250. Springs are SD X-codes:

Considering youve got an 80-86, this might still work on your frame, even with the horn moved up. Technically its not for a bronco, but the frame horn on an F250 is basically flat, so id think it would still work. In my case it would line up with the original hole for the shackle, but as you can see, it also butts up against the body mount, so you could use that as a reference and just drill the holes in your frame where necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see how close to the body mount it is and how poorly it was raised. Strong enough to hold the bumper but nothing I would put weight on. So I'm not sure that kit would fit and with how close it is to the body mount I'm not sure I have enough space to run fish plates and patch the frame properly either

·
ate lug
8,477 Posts
Yeah its worse than i was thinking. I would think though, that if you repaired the frame horn, and then fully welded the shackle flip bracket to the frame, that it would be sufficiently strong. At that point, the bracket would be serving as your fish plate, and it would also be tieing both frame horns together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its worse than i was thinking. I would think though, that if you repaired the frame horn, and then fully welded the shackle flip bracket to the frame, that it would be sufficiently strong. At that point, the bracket would be serving as your fish plate, and it would also be tieing both frame horns together.
I just went and looked at another truck to buy for a frame and it looks like it confirms my thoughts, that the frame has been shortened as well. My only fear with welding this frame back up, is that while the sas kit will tie the frame ends together, it rests entirely in front of the weld and therefore the suspension would stress the weld not reinforce it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts