Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent 10 hours installing my new (used) extended radius and the install went pretty well. Handling of the truck improved and blah de blah de blah.

My point

I did not take a wire brush to the frame rails and clean off what Skyjackers instructions call undercoating. I simply drilled the holes and bolted the bastard in.

My question is what difference does it make whether or not I scrub some undercoating off?:shrug

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
It doesn't, don't worry bout anything.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wouldn't say "it don't matter" as there is now a gap between ur frame and radius arm bracket, and once the dirt and undercoating/paint start to wear away, bolts will loosen. I do not leave anything between suspension components and there mounting location except bare raw steel even if it's welded or bolted it's just not good practice....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I plan on welding the damn thing to the frame anywho but in the meantime perhaps checking the bolt torque every oil change (which is what I do now anyway) will offset my laziness?

Then again if I was to go through all of that trouble maybe I should just get under the damn thing and do it right.

Is it really all that important if Im going to weld it anyway? Ill be scrubbing all of that undercoating to get a clean weld on there anyway.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Seriously dude you're fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the fabtech extended radius arms on my F350. I didn't wire brush anything off, but what i was afraid of was welding to the frame and the heat changing the properties of the metal.

Mines bolted. No issues.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I dont remember brushing anything when I did mine. Either way I would say not worry about it. If you dont check them periodically at least go back and make sure they are tight after a little while to make sure they didnt loosen up any after they had time to settle in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok weld the damn thing and have bolts that can and will loosen and a poor weld surface to boot. If u didn't clean the steel before mounting the bracket how do u plan to clean it for a good weld penetration?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the lift will be just fine if you used the proper size mounting bolts and tightned them down really good or to torque spec . if you weld on the frame it will not matter eather way and will be a waste of time..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok weld the damn thing and have bolts that can and will loosen and a poor weld surface to boot. If u didn't clean the steel before mounting the bracket how do u plan to clean it for a good weld penetration?
By taking the actual bracket and cleaning it off like I was apparently supposed to and like I said in my post above...

"Is it really all that important if Im going to weld it anyway? Ill be scrubbing all of that undercoating to get a clean weld on there anyway."

:thumbup

But like I said before.

Thanks for putting me at ease guys. :beer
I was a little worried I had made a major screw up:banghead

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry not ranting against u, just the ones that say it don't matter. If it didn't matter they wouldn't have put it in the directions. U asked a question and they failed to answer it and left u with a shade tree mechanic answer. If the warning label of "hot coffee" had been on that mcdonalds coffee cup then that dumba&& lady that spilt it on her self could not of sued for millions and shown the world how stupid rednecks can b. So they state that to cover there tail and because it is a smart idea to keep bolts from coming loose. I have been running skyjacker extended arms since 00' and put locktite on the bolts and haven't touched them since, imoa welding them is unnecessary and will only cause other problems down the road. I hope u didn't take my atitude personally I am only trying to help by not leading u the wrong way on doing things right the first time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
if a person needs a label to define anything hot or cold (they are a mentally challenged person) . a technition uses his or her common knowledge to make deciusions while working on a peace of equipment (reads all directions) asks questions about perticular repair(wich was done in this situation). in this installation it isnt a big deal to leave the frame painted / witch would help with rust ect. its not rocket science it is a truck. it isnot going to cause any problems down the road and welding isnt needed . use locking nuts and loc tight if you really need to and thats it , tighten down the bolts until tight /done. i am one of those so called stuped rednecks you talk about and you dont offend me in any way , call us as you please and im damn proud! /that lady was just in for the pay off thats it!hahahahahahaha your funny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts