Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the little keeper latches that slide upwards no problem but the arms still won't budge. Probably have been on since Lil' Henry Ford worked the assembly line. Mini slide hammer time? Not a lot of solid parts nearby to go the 'lever/fulcrum/large screwdriver' route........

Gracias,

Rick

·
Registered
207 Posts
^^^ Basicly what i had to do to get them off. But i also tapped on the bottom as the wipers where on. After a min or so they slipped right off.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just borrowed my neighbor's 3-jaw slide hammer. Marinated in Blaster for an hour prior to hitting them with the slider----finally popped off but gawg were they really on there.

On re-install I'm thinking water-proof grease or Anti-sieze. Or even peanut butter, 'cuz anythings got to be better that what's (not) there right now.......

Thanx again Kidz...........

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a little update----had to use this old 3-legged relic from WWII of my neighbor's to get them both off. They were on pretty tight and took a bit more force than I would normally have thought neccessary...but at least they're off. Cleaned up the innies and the outies with a small wire bruch, greased up the splines on the two rotating goodies on the truck and then re-installed them.

Good as gold.........

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive had to dremel wiper arms to take them off before. Only works if your removing them to put new ones on.
I believe it. My suggestion would be for everyone here to remove theirs tomorrow, clean them up, put a bit of grease on them and maybe change out the rubber blades-----before the rainy season starts. Just one more $9.00 project to take care of before you have to do it under adverse conditions..........

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just cursed at mine alot and they came off.
Thats my favorite repair technique. :doh0715:

Mine came off easily.

Steve83's suggestion is a good one. The combination of penetrating oil and vibrations works wonders.

Joe

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
Anti-seize lube would be better than grease.
fo sho.

Also, you folks with issues getting them off, don't you change wiper blades every couple years? BY FAR the easiest way to do this is pop pin, remove arm, bring to work bench and figure out how those darn blades are supposed to go on again, vs. leaning over the big azz hood.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
It only rains 5 days a year here. Our blades rot out before they wear out.........
trust me, mine see very little rain. The truck is garaged kept, was in oregon too. My truck has seen little rain in the last 8 years. so as I said, when you need to change them, rot or not (the UV is really what does them in so it's still every several years at most), wouldn't it be easier to pull the arm??

Basically, now that you have them free, you understand they need some lube. I actually thought your situation was due to you being in a rust zone, and that was the problem. I dunno, now you know. my arms always come off with zero issue (actually if that little clip was not on there, they'd likely come flying off). I guess the way to keep it this way is by pulling the arms as I do, but it's your choice.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
trust me, mine see very little rain. The truck is garaged kept, was in oregon too. My truck has seen little rain in the last 8 years. so as I said, when you need to change them, rot or not (the UV is really what does them in so it's still every several years at most), wouldn't it be easier to pull the arm??

I did it 'cuz I wanted to also spray them when I painted the front clip. Fwiw, the rubber blades themselves take less than 2 minutes to replace on mine--pop off, pop on...................

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
Bronco II owner? Didn't see that in your garage....................:smokin:
Ha, I was going to figure a good comeback bash on you both, but now I couldn't do such a thing to Ricky for his witty response to Ian, and Ian is now so rejected I couldn't think of squashing him any further into the mud.:goodfinge

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.