Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bidding war for a set of sliding side Windows (and top) for a 78. What are the sliders worth and does anybody want to lay claim to this. I have 95 but figure somebody on fsb would be very happy...with my find.

·
OMF
2,954 Posts
I paid $135 for my top with sliders.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My brother picked up a top with them for $50, I've seen the windows themself go for up to $75 on craigslist though

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Unless you have inspected them I wouldn't pay over 50 bucks for them. The problem with sliding windows is the spring mount for the wing window rusts and breaks. I'd bet better than 90% of them are in this shape unless they came from the West where rust isn't an issue. The gaskets are where the money is. I sold a set of rubber gaskets for the sliders on ebay for over a 100 bucks a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
Unless you have inspected them I wouldn't pay over 50 bucks for them. The problem with sliding windows is the spring mount for the wing window rusts and breaks. I'd bet better than 90% of them are in this shape unless they came from the West where rust isn't an issue. The gaskets are where the money is. I sold a set of rubber gaskets for the sliders on ebay for over a 100 bucks a few years ago.
yo RANGER,
I tried to get the latches/springs, etc. from CR Laurence a few yrs ago, but they wouldn't provide them or their source's names (if they are out-sourced; for 78-79 and 80-96 applications.

Maybe it's time to try again?

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
I don't think the CR Laurence stuff will fit a 78-79 unless they are specifically made for it. Ken over at PJB made new mounts for the spring setup with a bolt welded to the lower bracket of the wing window.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I have a couple sets of these windows, plus the windows in my current top, where is the spring mount ? I see the latch and the pivot, is the spring mount at the bottom ? Dumbass question I know, just trying to see where to look before I get my current set tinted.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,918 Posts
Ranger, do you know if that spring set up for the wing window is the same as the set up on the vent windows? I guess I could compare one day, I have a top with slider windows that I couldn't give away here awhile back. Its still sitting over my folks house.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Well after seeing the prices you guys are throwing out I'm glad I didn't hand over the $350 this guy tried to get me to pay a few years ago. Glad I read this thread.
$350? :histerica

I have a couple sets of these windows, plus the windows in my current top, where is the spring mount ? I see the latch and the pivot, is the spring mount at the bottom ? Dumbass question I know, just trying to see where to look before I get my current set tinted.
Yes the spring is on the lower side of the wing window. The entire slider needs to be pulled from the top to inspect.

Ranger, do you know if that spring set up for the wing window is the same as the set up on the vent windows? I guess I could compare one day, I have a top with slider windows that I couldn't give away here awhile back. Its still sitting over my folks house.
Good question, I never really compared the 2 wing windows together. In my best guess I would think that Ford would of used something already made instead of making a complete new template for it. I don't have a set of sliders anymore so I can't compare. If you have a set Melissa take a picture of the spring so these guys know what I am talking about.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,918 Posts
It'll be Monday before I go to mama's house, and my memory is shit, but I'll try to remember to take pics... I'll also take pics of the vent window on the Bronco for comparison, cause you can get that mechanism and I'm pretty sure that was the same for several years.

And yes, it would make sense that Ford would use the same spring and whatever for the wing windows, but after working in parts for 5 years, I've learned to never ever assume Ford would do something that makes sense, haha.

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
yo, Here is a start on the vent windows;
Vent Window Parts Break-Out Diagram in 78-79 w/Nomenclature
Source: by Ford

Chrome Vent Window Handle, Left OEM # 24304
1978-79 Bronco

1977-79 Ford Truck
Drivers Side Chrome Price: $30.00

in black

Item #24304B - New Aftermarket
1978-79 Bronco
1977-79 Ford Truck
Drivers Side Black handle with push pin, spring, washer and coldroll pin $17.00

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-24304-chrome-vent-window-handle-left-oem.html

Vent Window Disassembly in 78-96; "...The vent window frame is very easy to remove from the door once the door panel is off. Roll the glass all the way down, and remove the 2 phillips screws from the upper front edge of the door frame. Remove the 11mm (7/16") bolt from the inner door skin, just rearward of the divider bar and about 6" down from the glass. (Do not remove the 8mm - 5/16" bolt if present.) Pull the rubber glass run down from where the divider meets the top of the door frame & rearward out of the back of the divider. Tilt the vent window frame rearward to remove it from the channel in the door's upper forward edge, and rotate the front of the vent window frame inward 90 degrees. Tilt the frame back and slide it up & out of the door. Reverse to install..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/687495

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
You can see the spring on the bottom side of the vent window in the breakdown picture. This is the one that rusts and breaks on the sliding windows for 78-79's.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
The spring for the vent window and the sliders are one in the same. Had to replace one my self a while ago and the hardest part of the whole process was getting the vent window glass out and back in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts