Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1979 with a 351M C6 auto Edelbrock 600 that stumbles a little just off idle when accelerating then runs fine up threw the gears and highway speed. Also smells rich when in town and when riding with rear window down and almost wants to stall when dropped in gear not really though just lugs down I don't have a tach yet so not sure exactly where it is idling at.
It ran real could when I first got it, only had it a week, but then I fixed a bunch of leaky vacuum lines and this started. Did some looking for carb details and noticed they had the idle mixture scews 3.5 turns out turned those in to 1.75 turns out and it helped some. Also I might have got some bad gas not sure running a can of dry gas now. Think maybe I should just rebiuld the carb. It has good power under a load. choke adjust maybe... not sure...ideas?
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Floats are set too high. Might wanna get a vacuum gauge on that carb too, and adjust your mixture screws to the highest reading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I am printing off the manual now and will try your suggestion. Okay so what do I do with a vacuum gauge? What should it read and where to hook up?
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You want to get a manifold vacuum reading, so the gauge should have a 3/16-1/4" vacuum hose to hook up to the 'tree' on the intake. There are a couple different 'trees', but IIRC you're supposed to hook up to the one for your tranny modulator. As for what it should read, it really depends but I'm pretty sure it should be somewhere in the teens, but it's been a while since I hooked one up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh...where do I start. Took off the carb just for S and Gs was just gonna "clean it up" inside but that turned into a rebiuld which revealed one float at 1 3/16" drop and the other at 3/4" both should be 15/16" to an 1" and when inverted it should be 7/16" they were more like 3/8" to 5/16", so high like suggested. Carb had quite a bit of debris in the float bowls and varnish. Accelerator pump linkage was also in wrong hole and plunger was beat. Looked like base gasket was also leaking in spots. Reinstalled carb new fuel filter and trimmed hoses back with new clamps fired right up and lets just say there is a significant difference runs all around better great throttle response and no more stumble. I can't believe it ran as well a it did before.
Thanks for the help. Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts