Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My 78's rear drive shaft has slop in it, in the slip joint. just side to side slop, not up down slop, should i fix this or is this normal? is it the yoke thats bad or the shaft? any experienced people's feedback would be great, the front d\s has slop all over the place but not sure if i should fix it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would fix it ASAP.
Take the truck to a driveline or 4X4 shop for a thorough inspection.

Cuz if you have pinion gear slop it's going to grenade.

Sorry just read it again. Slip joints do wear out. Many times the splined section comes coated in plastic.
Long travel versions are available.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Very nice job. Did you get it balanced?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
A good drive line shop will re-balance your shaft after repairs, ask about it when you take it in. Replacing the splined end of the driveshaft will run about $100-$150, best way to prevent this from happening again is to keep it greased up, I hit mine with the grease gun every oil change.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Very nice job. Did you get it balanced?
Yup

A good drive line shop will re-balance your shaft after repairs, ask about it when you take it in. Replacing the splined end of the driveshaft will run about $100-$150, best way to prevent this from happening again is to keep it greased up, I hit mine with the grease gun every oil change.
and Yup, I do the same here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
GAAAH!!

Replacing the splined end of the driveshaft will run about $100-$150,
Shit.

Sure wish I could get one re-shafted that cheap, I'd have had 4x4 back long ago.. The shop here wanted about $250 or $300 (whole new shaft from them is only $360(with core charge) ).

I'm running front wheel drive now because the slip joint slop was so bad in the back, you could raise it a good 1.5"-2" at center of slop/flex.. :cry

G.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
A new Spicer slipyoke will run you about $40 and should take care of it. Phasing is very important... be sure to mark the alignment of the old slipyoke and the shaft before you pull it off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that sounds better jack, no 250$ untill i bash the shaft against a rock or somthin, then a new shaft can be had.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
There's a thread here IIRC by SigEpBlue regarding a "PTF grease" to use that helps stop the clunk or slop in the slip joint so check it out, but can't guarantee it will completley resolve the issue, you may need to go to a shop but "searching" first doesn't cost anything....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I got a new rear shaft, with slip joint, from JBG. Seems like it was around 300 bucks. The OE, worn out spline shaft is my trail back up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts