Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 88 with a 302. 3" body lift and 3" blocks. 35" MT Baja Claws. I want my steering to be tighter. I'll probably replace everything that has to do w/ the front end, but I've done that to an 85 f-150 and it didn't do much to fix the sloppy steering much. Plus there's really nothing wrong w/ any of it. Maybe a ball joint or 2, but everything seems pretty tight. Is it something in the steering box? The shaft perhaps? Anything helps guys. I appreciate it. Plus since the lift, the steering wheel is rotated clockwise from being at 12 o'clock straight up to approx. 2 o'clock. How do I solve that. It's become an annoyance.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Check your ball joints, suspension components and such, yeah. Once you've done that four things to look for are:
1. Rag joint on steering shaft
2. Slip joint on steering shaft
3. steering box
4. Rivets in frame around where the box attaches.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know alot of folks disagree with this... but....

When I had sloppy steering I crawled all over the front suspension and everythign was tight and fucntioning properly. I had a friend sitting in the truck turnign the wheel lock ot lock at one point to try and see what was delayed in moving as the steering shaft turned.

It ended up being.... everything sout of the box didn't move when the shaf did. I had the same problem in the past with a Trans Am. Looked a the box mouting real well, and found nothign.

So, I adjusted the slop screw on the box down 1 turn. You may not need that much if you cant find the problem elsewhere. I did mine 1.4 turn at a time just liek I did with the Trans Am. 1/2 Turn on that car, full turn on this truck.

I was told by a few Sr. members aroudn here my box was going to blow up on me and I should carry a Spare.. but Nah... 6000K miles later I have had no issues and the steering is very responsive to my inputs and 0 drift on the road.

However, I do feel this should only be done if you can not find it elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts