Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 eddie bauer edition 351 5.8L. when i drive my bronco on the street it accelerates way too slow. the engine doesnt rev or slip it gaines rpm normaly and in sync with my speed. my check engine light came on and im geting codes 67,41, and 63

according to my book

67=improper signals are being sent from either the Nuetral Drive Switch, Nuetral Gear Switch, Nuetral Pressure Switch, Manual Lever Position, Air Conditioner Clutch, or A/C was on during test(it wasnt i checked)

41=Exhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor: voltage signal always "lean" (low value)- Does not switch

63=Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS)- Signal voltage is too low

now i just recently replaced my TPS because my bronco ran like crap (do codes auto-delete once the problem has been fixed?) and it fixed the problem. my haynes book says nothing about a "Exhaust Gas Oxygen" sensor. also my A/C doesnt even work. my heater works and it will blow air but it isnt cold.

help plz?:whiteflag

·
Registered
155 Posts
they done self delete u have to detach the negative battery cable for like 5 mins then ur gonna start it and its gonna run werid for a min then its gonna self cechk it self and it should run fine if u did that alreay then idk wat eles it could be. i remember on my friends 91 f25o we fixxed a vaccum leak and didnt clear the memory and it ran like complete crap till we did

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Ignore the second post.

If you're still getting the TPS code, you need to check the TPS. Your poor acceleration confirm that Check out the TPS thread by Xris, and test yours. You should have <1.0v at closed throttle, and >4.5v at wide open throttle.

Your HEGO is your heated o2 sensor. There is one on your exhaust pipes where they come down from the manifolds. Probably needs to be replaced. Now, I'd deal with the TPS first, as this might be part of a bigger problem with the TPS.

As for the code 63, which transmission do you have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just got the bronco and idk what kind of tranny I have. My brother gave it to me after he wrecked it and i have fixed it up to run real nice and this problem just recently came up. how can i tell what transmission i have? i just replaced the vaccuum module. i hooked up a vaccuum gauge to it and it read normal. i dont understand why my TPS would screw up i seriously JUST replaced it. i took off my throttle body to replace it and cleaned my throttle body while i was a it. so i guess il read the voltage again.

and bronco 4 life, are you talking bout code 67 for the tranny? 63 is the tps

sorry for being such a newb

:wtf

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Tonka......your 89 could either have the C6.......which is a 3 speed auto WITHOUT overdrive.......it is controlled by a vacuum modulator on the tranmission. The shifter pattern will be P R N D 2 1

The AOD which is hydraulically controlled but were NOT put behind the 351. (at least from the factory), so it is probably not an AOD.

You also may have the E4OD.....this is an electronically controlled transmission. it can be identified by having an "OD OFF" button on the dash just to the right of the shifter stalk.

sorry i can't help with the codes, but i hope i can help you ID your trans. good luck.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
well i just got the bronco and idk what kind of tranny I have. My brother gave it to me after he wrecked it and i have fixed it up to run real nice and this problem just recently came up. how can i tell what transmission i have? i just replaced the vaccuum module. i hooked up a vaccuum gauge to it and it read normal. i dont understand why my TPS would screw up i seriously JUST replaced it. i took off my throttle body to replace it and cleaned my throttle body while i was a it. so i guess il read the voltage again.

and bronco 4 life, are you talking bout code 67 for the tranny? 63 is the tps

sorry for being such a newb

:wtf
Well, if you just replaced the vacuum modulator on the transmission, you've got a C6... so for the most part the transmission code 67 isn't a problem... If you had an E4OD (the electronic one, then I'd say you have a problem, but not a serious one)

You might have gotten a bad TPS to start with, it does happen. The best thing you can do is test it and make sure it's in range, you may have just installed it wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well due to the bipolar oklahoma weather i didnt get a chance to work on my bronco today seeing that i have to do all my work outdoors. as soon as the weather clears up i will pull my tps off and check it again... its sucha pain in the ass so i just take my whole throttle body off.:cry

il get back to you when im finished... hopefully i get get some work in before it snows tomorrow :smash

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Well, you should consider reading the TPS thread I pointed you to.

It would show you how to test the TPS without having to take anything off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... so i just tested my tps. i set my voltmeter to 20 DC. my haynes manual called for .50 to 1.00 voltsat idle. when i first started it up it read 1.20 then to 1.14 and down to .90 where it stayed in that area. i then opened up my throttle and i watched the volts drop very quickly to 60 then to 40 and down to.09 volts. i released the throttle and it went back up to 90. according to my haynes manual its supposed to rise to beetween 4.00 to 5.00 volts with an open throttle. so im guessing this is bad.

:scratchhe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i feel better but stupid at the same time... i was reading from the wrong connector. so i finally read the right one and tested it according to this.

it didnt read anything. not so much as .01 so yea ive got a problem. which really makes me mad considering this is a brand new tps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i just replaced my tps and the code has gone away... so... code 41 and 67. so i took my bronco to the store today and now its having a serious problem shifting. it seems to want to stay in 2nd. when i manually shift it, it seems to accelerate normally.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Can you post a picture of your transmission? Or what's the transmission code on your door pillar sticker?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok im positive i have a C6. anyways so i think i have found the problem. my TV cable is broken, the spring on the throttle valve has lost its coil, and my kickdown cable has become completely loose. so i think im going to take the easy way out (cough cough)and take the whole throttle body off of a 87 bronco that has been totalled. so tomorrow I get to take two different throttle bodies off, swap the IAC and TPS, and block off a unneaded vaccuum hose line that 87's have but 89's dont. while im at it i get to replace the TV cable and send the new one through the firewall etc. and then cut my kickdown cable to the right length. its a good thing i dont have anything planned tomorrow.

:cry

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
C6's don't use a TV cable, AOD's do. They DO have a kickdown cable, and they use a vacuum modulator with a vacuum line that goes to the vacuum tree.

·
Registered
296 Posts
any bets the modulator is leaking oil into the engine and smoking out the o2 sensor? Who knows,,, might not be,,

anyway,,,

Just change the o2 sensor, yours has failed, it is in the cross over on the right side of your exhaust. under the truck, yours is a 4 wire and is about 43 $.. it uses a 22mm wrench.

I would say you have an AOD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i dont know apparently im talking about something different. the cable that runs from my accelerator to my throttle body is busted. i thought that was the throttle valve (TV) cable.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
any bets the modulator is leaking oil into the engine and smoking out the o2 sensor? Who knows,,, might not be,,

anyway,,,

Just change the o2 sensor, yours has failed, it is in the cross over on the right side of your exhaust. under the truck, yours is a 4 wire and is about 43 $.. it uses a 22mm wrench.

I would say you have an AOD.
The O2 sensor doesn't have any effect on acceleration at WOT at all, and wouldn't cause the dog slow acceleration he's describing... it just can't go that far out of range.

ok i dont know apparently im talking about something different. the cable that runs from my accelerator to my throttle body is busted. i thought that was the throttle valve (TV) cable.
The cable that runs from your gas pedal to your throttle body is your throttle cable. The TV cable is for an AOD, and is essentially what your vacuum line/vacuum modulator/kickdown cable do for a C6.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok... so my acceleration problem has been fixed with a change of the tranny oil filter and oil. it was staying in 2nd thats why it wouldnt accelerate. however my kickdown cable isnt working so i cant really kick it when i want to. the main problem that i have now is when i first start my cold engine it idles at about 900 RPM. after driving it maybe a mile or so i put it in park and the idle jumps to 1200 RPM. once my engine is hot it idles at a whopping 1800 RPM! at idle!!! i check my throttle valve and its all the way back so its not sticking. in drive it idles at 800 RPM mostly. but occasionally it will lower to 600 RPM. it doesnt constantly change. it runs smooth all the time the RPM just changes every few minutes. WTF!!! my haynes manual says nothing about this! :banghead

·
Registered
457 Posts
Might want to give it a good tune up....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts