Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78 w/c6 is slow to go into drive when cold. Maybe 3-5 min every morning, revving doesn't help either, just have to wait. Fluid is full and reverse is instantaneous every time. Once it engages there are no other problems and shifts fine. Any suggestions???

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
There has to be a pressure leak somewhere in the valve body. Have you ever sucked through a straw with a hole in it? This is probably your issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I've cussed McDonalds more than once for that lol. So, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and not that bad of a pain in the ass so should i get used to it or start turning wrenches?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yea, I've cussed McDonalds more than once for that lol. So, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and not that bad of a pain in the ass so should i get used to it or start turning wrenches?
start turning wrenches id hate to see u blow your transmission up easyer to fix now then when you blow ur transmission

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My 78 was having similar issues. After a filter change, and new fluid, its good to go, as soon as the engine is running smoothly ( 90 seconds).

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
3-5 minutes to engage drive? wow that's horrible.

you might have a broken spring or a few in the valvebody. might consider doing a shift kit. every valvebody I took apart had at least 1 broken spring in it somewhere

·
Super Moderator
26,073 Posts
yp GVH,

This is by Jasper;
LATE, HARSH, OR NO SHIFT
Turn kick down rod adjusting screw out 1/8th" inch
Check vacuum at modulator and its vacuum hose back to source on engine.
Make sure the vacuum hose to the modulator is not routed where it could be kinked or pinched
Pull the vacuum line off the mod. If fluid comes out of the vacuum line your modulator is not good
Most modulator diaphragms have an adjustment screw through the vacuum tube hole. Screw clockwise for later/firmer shifts and counterclockwise for earlier/softer shifts. However if more than two or three turns don’t get what you want, you may have other problems. by Kenneth C at http://badshoeproductions.com/trans.html

ENGAGEMENT PROBLEMS
Check fluid level and condition = OK
Delayed
Check shift linkage adjustment
Internal problem

Shift Linkage pics in a 78 Bronco J&SBroncolvrs at http://broncozone.com/topic/16734-c6-kickdown-rod-linkage/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts