Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share a little project I’ve been working on at home - one of the items on my “honey-do” list is about to be checked off.

Here is what my living room fireplace looked like:

Pretty awful if you asked me. Anyway, my wife asked me to come up with something to make this look better and add a mantel. So after a little thinking, and a trip to the Lowe’s, I got going.

First I ripped off the old paneling and fireplace moulding.

The middle “studs” were turned sideways! Wtf?! Anyway, fixed that.

Found this stone veneer and bought 30 sqft of it.

Mixed up the mortar and started installing:

Found a guy locally who had a bunch of free pallets behind his warehouse - got 7 to use for a “rustic look.” Also mounted up a surge protector behind where the TV is going as a temporary solution until I hard wire a permanent outlet back there. I still have to clean up the edges around the fireplace opening too.

I found a guy who sells live edge lumber for bar tops, mantels, countertops, etc. So I drove the Bronco about 39 miles north to his shop and picked up a large beam of aspen with dimensions 4” thick, 10-12” deep, and 6’ long. I’ll sand it, clean up the live edge a bit of all the splinters and bark, and polyurethane it. Going to stick with the natural color.

I’ll update when I get it mounted.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That's pretty awesome 👍 we have 2 fireplaces in our house (that was built in 1850). One's just a narrow coal burning fireplace with etched black onyx surround and filegre cast iron grate on the front in my office . Had always wanted to do some stone like what u did around this
20180717_124610-1-1.jpg

and the other is in the dining room. Black marble surround, but they tore down the chimney before we bought the place 🙁 but it holds a 10 gallon aquarium perfectly 😀
20160612_185650-1.jpg

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished out the trim around the opening and got the mantel mounted. The mantel is not finished yet though. I need to sand and polyurethane it, but it’s Turkey Day and I ain’t got time fo dat right now. Going out later to get a new 65” 4K UHD tv later on super sale.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great @MS88Bronc - nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks bud. I’m sore now after all the kneeling on wood floors and getting up over and over! Getting old sucks. Lol

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks fabulous. Are u going to oil or stain the mantle?
Thanks! Yes, it’s rough cut, so I’m going to sand and polyurethane it. Got the new 65” 4K UHD TV mounted today - Black Friday special. The wires are ugly for now, but when I find (or build) a nice pair of shelves for each side, I’ll pull a plank or two off and run the wires behind the wood and out the side onto a shelf. Having the receiver and modem on the mantel is NOT the long term plan!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hm... I dunno that poly will have long term gains over a fireplace. From the constant heat it could cloud or get crazing lines as it ages and dries out. Imo an oil sealer would be better especially if u plan on keeping the natural edge.
Thinking about the tv hardware, u could build a little box under the mantle to hide everything in there...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Lol this house was built in 1962.

Did it have carpet in the kitchen and bathroom when you got it?

I helped one of my brothers tile a house for one of his friends years ago and it was built in the 60's and hadn't been updated. That was one of the things that blew my mind, like nothing liquid in either of those rooms would ever hit the floor.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So how'd this finish out?
Welllllll - haven’t wrapped it up yet. Lol. Just need to finish the mantel. Still looking for the right shelves to put on each side. When I get those, I can finish the mantel. ;)

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did it have carpet in the kitchen and bathroom when you got it?

I helped one of my brothers tile a house for one of his friends years ago and it was built in the 60's and hadn't been updated. That was one of the things that blew my mind, like nothing liquid in either of those rooms would ever hit the floor.
Forgot to reply to this before...

Not sure about the carpet - wouldn’t be surprised. The hardwood was once carpeted since you can still see the nail marks from the tack strips near the walls. There have been SOME updates, just not enough for my liking.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don't feel bad... My kitchen still has glue down industrial orange ish carpet over 9 inch schoolhouse tiles glued to anybody's guess... Looking at it from the basement it looks like the original wood floors we have in the rest of the downstairs...a friend of mine gave me a barely 2yo snap together floating laminate wood floor they took up, been sitting in my basement 2 years... From my previous career as a carpet and tile installer I know what this job entails and I'm really not looking forward to it...

As far as shelves @MS88Bronc i think slim floating shelves would complement the thin faces of the stone u picked nicely.
e64888791f596fd6fee1c83913e8cb76.jpg

Then maybe something wider to hide ur tv hardware...
1a38226617052f915d69e281398688c1.jpg

Could work?

·
Eric
2,459 Posts
I dig the new fireplace. I'm a fan of modern-rustic and industrial architecture. Live edge mantle was a good choice, too. Nicely executed project. 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts