Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was working on my truck recently and just cleaning it up, i could smell a hint of gas constantly from the driver side where there's gas cap is, but its not going away, is there some kind of vent or line that i should look into ?

also problem when filling up, kind of sprays back at me , not alot but still concerning

And im not sure if its fuel or not but theres a small puddle stain right under the gas tank? but i dont see anything leaking from the tank

·
Registered
305 Posts
The tank has vent tubes and it sound like you need to crawl under and service yours. One of them should be going to the charcoal canister. If the canister goes bad or the tubes get clogged they can cause the gas smell.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank has vent tubes and it sound like you need to crawl under and service yours. One of them should be going to the charcoal canister. If the canister goes bad or the tubes get clogged they can cause the gas smell.
where is the charcoal canister if i may ask ? and location of said vent tube

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
hmm, where can I get said charcoal canister? I know my tank vent is just an open line right now above my tank....

·
Super Moderator
27,269 Posts
where is the charcoal canister if i may ask ? and location of said vent tube
Yo Fox,
MY 4TH OR 5TH EDIT DUE TO IMAGE UP LOADING SECURITY VIOLATIONS
Canister Location pic in a 93 by Bbronco311
It's on passenger side fuel rail. Follow hose from Cannister Purge Control Valve (CanP) shown below.

Item Part Number Description
1 9A220 Fuel Vapor Tube from Fuel Tank
2 9G271 From Cannister Purge Control Valve (CanP)
Follow hose to Canister

3 9D653 Evaporative Emissions Canister, 1400ml (1.48 Qts.)
4 Fresh Air
5 9D653 Evaporative Emissions Canister, 925ml (0.98 Qts.)

Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP) pic by Seattle FSB

"...The evaporative emission (EVAP) canister is a storage device for fuel vapors that are emitted by the fuel tank in hot soak conditions. When the vehicle is at normal operating conditions the vapors are purged from the EVAP canister. The EVAP canister is controlled by the exhaust gas recirculation/evaporative emission (EGR/EVAP) control solenoid. This solenoid sends vacuum to the EVAP canister purge valve (part of the EVAP canister) which allows the passage of the fuel vapors into the intake manifold where they are mixed with air and burned in the engine. By storing the fuel vapors and purging them into the engine at a later time hydrocarbon emissions are reduced, and fuel efficiency is increased..." by Ford

The fuel tank vapor valve is mounted in the top of the fuel tank and permits fuel vapors to be vented to the charcoal canister, while restricting liquid fuel. A rubber grommet provides a tight seal around the valve in order to keep the vapors from escaping to atmosphere.

Fuel Tank Fuel/Vapor Separator Operation
As fuel vapors are generated, they enter the valve from the bottom, rise upward past the float, and out through a single vapor line.
If liquid fuel should enter the valve assembly, the float will rise upward and close the orifice. As the fuel is drained back into the fuel tank, the spring attached to the underside of the valve pulls the float downward, exposing the orifice.

NOTE: In the event of vehicle roll-over, the float closes off the valve, preventing fuel from escaping and saturating the charcoal canister.

Fuel tank vapor valve and its Sealis available at most parts stores.

·
Super Moderator
27,269 Posts
hmm, where can I get said charcoal canister? I know my tank vent is just an open line right now above my tank....
Yo Jimmy,

Ford Bronco Carbon Canister - Vapor Canister - Motorcraft Dorman Standard Motor Products - 1995 1988 1994 1996 1991 1986 1992 1990 95 88 94 96 91 86 92 90 - Ford Bronco Carbon Canister - Vapor Canister - Motorcraft Dorman Standard Motor Products - 1995 1988 1994 1996 1991 1986 1992 1990 95 88 94 96 91 86 92 90 - PartsGeek.com

Or local parts stores for Dorman brand, and eBay

·
Registered
557 Posts
What about the big rubber house joining the filler neck to the tank? I had a couple jeeps where this item failed and failed in precisely the manner you describe
Having it cough gas all over the ground right before its full is the dead giveaway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts