Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright guys thought I would post some updates of the bumper. Since the install, I have always needed to trim the lower tube near the front tire because it would run slightly on full bump. Well you could say I definitely trimmed it today...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Then off with the fairlead and fairlead mount. Change of plans on how I am going to run the winch and fairlead.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Took the bronco wheelin' in Big Bear Lake, California and did some pretty difficult trails without any hits to the front bumper. The clearance was definitely needed. Modification successful :thumbup

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Currently in the process of improving the mounting brackets and including new tow points with 6.5 ton shackles.

I plan on boxing the front frame horns to give the bumper brackets more surface to mount to. Then create a 'sleeve' that will be welded to the bumper, that then slides over the frame horns. I ordered some prefabricated clevis mounts that'll bolt to the outside of the frame horns, which pick up two bolt holes that will also be used to bolt the bumper to the frame.

Hardware and shackles:

Clevis mounts:

Bumper removed for existing bracket removal:

The shackles will sit directly underneath the upper push bar tubes and recessed so that they are flush with the bottom tube of the bumper:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I will be boxing the front of the frame and making it an even rectangle. This will allow a 'sleeve' to be mounted to the bumper and will just slide over the frame and bolt down. Boxing the frame will require two pieces. A larger, flat plate like the template pictured below and a small triangular filler piece for the top since the frame tapers backwards on the top frame rail.

I will be welding nuts to the inside of the boxed frame portion so that all I have to do is tighten down the bolts. The top bolt (pictured) has a nut that was welded inside a hole that I drilled in the frame and is securing the top plate while mocking up the side plates.

Here is a picture of the sleeve. The flat face in the front will be welded to the backside of the bumper and act as the mounting brackets. The sharpie at the bottom is the clevis that will sit on the outside of the frame and double as bolt holes to secure the bumper to the frame. The shackle pin will be centered to the bottom tube of the bumper.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nuts welded on inside of the frame for clevis mount and bumper:

Plate with welded nuts on the backside tacked in place to box the frame horns:

The 'sleeves' tacked together and bolted to the newly boxed frame:

Bumper mocked up used wood stands (easy to adjust):

Brackets welded to bumper:

Finished product:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts