Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased my overpriced Bronco from a guy in NV. (I live in Ca and had it shipped)
The bronco was on eBay, but he sold it off site.
When speaking on phone, he claimed 100% original.
I expressed my concern about California smog and he said there was no reason it should not pass.
"All smog equipment was there."

Upon receiving the Bronco, the smog pump was seized, the hoses were rerouted, and the cats were removed.

Since it was bought off site, I don't know if legally I have any say.

I was quoted $1500 for new cats installed. And then still no guarantee it passes smog.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Does $1500 sound right? I do trust the muffler guy. He's a bronco guy as well.
He said he could not find a single cat that was legal for California. Only the dual.
And since Covid, the price of cats tripled at least.

Please help as I don't want to have to scrap this Bronco
Do I have to bend over AGAIN?

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
678 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.
That looks like a good option.
I should have mentioned that I have an 86.
Don't know if that changes.

Smog pump is not included

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
ive still got my 90s smog pump if you need one but its at my cousins so idk how quick i could get it.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,096 Posts
Is it the fuel injected 302 or carb 351?

·
Super Moderator
29,444 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,096 Posts
They are going to want you to take it to a STAR inspection station which are more stringent than a regular smog check so make sure that every vacuum line and smog device is in place and working, carbed vehicles are a b*tch to have smoged in CA. I would give it a full tune up using good quality parts. As far as the Cats go I would go with(Walker) what Miesk5 posted

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
1,131 Posts
So I purchased my overpriced Bronco from a guy in NV. (I live in Ca and had it shipped)
The bronco was on eBay, but he sold it off site.
When speaking on phone, he claimed 100% original.
I expressed my concern about California smog and he said there was no reason it should not pass.
"All smog equipment was there."

Upon receiving the Bronco, the smog pump was seized, the hoses were rerouted, and the cats were removed.

Since it was bought off site, I don't know if legally I have any say.

I was quoted $1500 for new cats installed. And then still no guarantee it passes smog.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Does $1500 sound right? I do trust the muffler guy. He's a bronco guy as well.
He said he could not find a single cat that was legal for California. Only the dual.
And since Covid, the price of cats tripled at least.

Please help as I don't want to have to scrap this Bronco
Do I have to bend over AGAIN?

Thanks all
I'm almost positive i have my 86 smog pump still laying in my "miscellaneous pile of junk" at my shop, and as i recall it did still spin, the PO of my rig had it all unhooked and bypassed, and living where i live emissions aren't a thing. So if you need it, you can have it.

Also, the only difference in that y-pipe setup from an 86 i beleive is the location for the O2 sensor...at least that is what it was for the 5.0 setup, they moved it down lower in 87 i think.

·
Super Moderator
29,444 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm almost positive i have my 86 smog pump still laying in my "miscellaneous pile of junk" at my shop, and as i recall it did still spin, the PO of my rig had it all unhooked and bypassed, and living where i live emissions aren't a thing. So if you need it, you can have it.

Also, the only difference in that y-pipe setup from an 86 i beleive is the location for the O2 sensor...at least that is what it was for the 5.0 setup, they moved it down lower in 87 i think.
Emissions you say?

I do actually live in the tri-parish area that does technically have emissions. Most places just ignore it though.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
1,131 Posts
Emissions you say?

I do actually live in the tri-parish area that does technically have emissions. Most places just ignore it though.
Most of our “inspections “ are proof of insurance, no busted out windshield, then a 5 minute conversation of “how’s ya mamma-n-dem?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Most of our “inspections “ are proof of insurance, no busted out windshield, then a 5 minute conversation of “how’s ya mamma-n-dem?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me and the wife been talking about moving further north, prolly a bit past you, up into arkansas. central or ozarks area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts