Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my first smog pump but would like to avoid having to remove the whole bracket and to break the pump off because the top bolt snaps... This one is on my F150.. Have been soaking it all day with penetrating oil but sill won't break free. Have movement on the breaker bar in the front but the back side where there are threads showing is not moving so I am thinking the bolt is starting to spin and will eventually fail.

Should I just continue to hit it with pblaster and let it work in or should I just use the force on the breaker bar and see what happens? The pump won't be here until tomorrow anyway so either way I guess I could just soak it till tomorrow.. thought from anyone else would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I would just go ahead and pull the bracket. yes its a massive pain, but in the long run you will end up better. The bracket is aluminum and if you try to force a stuck bolt it will just rip the aluminum threads out, then you WILL be taking the bracket off. Its only held on by 3 bolts, one of which is difficult to get to because of the water pump bypass hose is right in the way. I did it in about 45 mins last year.

·
I did done broke it
2,282 Posts
And whatever you do don't try to hammer the bolt out. Thats definitely not how I ended up cracking my bracket

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great feedback... I am happy to report that I just needed to stay patient and leave the hammer in the tool box. I kept hitting both sides of the bolt with AeroKroil [known as the creeping oil] I kept at it a little at a time with the breaker bar every 30 mins and after about another 2 hours she finally started to turn.. :thumbup

I love this stuff has never let me down yet.. as long as I stay cool and patient. I did not have AeroKroil the last time 4 years ago when I had the same smog pump problem on my FSB. That one ended ugly and had to air chisel the pump from the bracet.

Appreciate all the help again thanks.. :thumbup

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I had to pull the bracket out on my FSB back in 2011. Could not get the bolt out any which way and had to break the pump off... thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Snag...:banghead

So I get home tonight thinking all is going to be great got the long top bolt undone just have to work it out then the short bottom one and we are good.. right?? Wrong :banghead. The small bolt is just as fused as the large one.. So again being patient paid off last time so repeat... soaked with Kroil wait 20 mins repeat several times. Unfortunatly the angle on this one is not straight away and with the universal she started to strip.. So I take a break and exame the pump, there is a small braket the bolt connect to the pump that is anchored in the front to another small bot that seems to be trheded into the block. ITs a 1/2 so I figure what the hell looks like the other side of the same braket that the PIA seized bolt is attached to. So I took it off, wiggled it, just a little bit... and she came out... :thumbup

So now I just have to get that bold out and will most likely replace it. This may go into extra innings again so the end result probably will not happen before night fall but at least I got it out.. :rockon

Had to jack her up high enough to get some leveage

Here it is out of the truck... what a PITA. The top bolt should clean up well enough

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Things like this are why I got one of those Harbor Freight Bead Blasting Cabinets and a good air compressor. Cleaning up brackets and bolts and things is simple now. When I rebuilt my engine, I blasted and painted every single nut bolt bracket and piece that came off of it. Now things come apart with no trouble at all.

·
Banned
3,610 Posts
Yep.

Also remember that thread locker IS an effective anti-seize agent, though not a lubricant like anti-seize lube. So it doesn't allow bolts to vibrate out, but they CAN be removed much more easily than what you just went through.

...and I don't think that black steel bracket on your pump is stock. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did not want to leave the thread open.. finally got her done today... why so long you ask. Well after soaking that stuborn bolt all last week I get out there yesterday and on the work bench with a 9/16 socket and breaker bar try to get that dam bolt out. She would not budge worse she started to round off the head.... Decided I would have to sacrifice the pump and just cut off the head. Headed down to my local auto parts store to pick up a new grad 8 bolt. They did not have the long one but I did get the short one and a washer.

While checking out I scan the display and see a display with these specialty sockets. They have extra notches in the socket that supposed to keep the socket from spinning and rounding off the head. I ask the counter guy if these sockets really work as advertised. He said they sell a lot of them and everyone they have sold came back with positive feedback so I figured for $17 what the heck. I don't want to cut off the head and leave the rest of the bolt there. So I get home break out the 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor with a 3/8 socket and 1/2 ratchet, put my body weight on it and she comes off nice and sweet like.. :rockon Best $17 I spent...

So here is the new pump with the new bolt and original bracket. I used Locktight Silver paste on all my bolts now.

Not sure if the PO had made any adjustments to the bracket, here are a couple pics. You can see the mounting point where the long bolt goes and the bracket itself appears to be smooth. Maybe the PO cut off the bottom and ground it smooth, I don't know but once that pesky short bolt was out it went back in pretty easy enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts