Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, since I am new here I wanted to post some questions. I have just bought a 1990 Ford Bronco and the Smog Pump is disconnected and squels like a champ. Is this pump necessary? Should I replace it or just remove the pump and get a smaller serpentine belt. This is my first in a long line of questions with this new project. Thanks for everyones help!

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I had a belt on my 94 302 to bypass the smog pump. However, it was slightly too big so I got it, and it was fine but then it stretched out a bit and when the alternator would load it would squack at first. So, I have my air pump attached again. You can try to get a belt that fits to bypass it, or you can buy a delete kit for like 200 bucks, or you could take it apart and manually disrupt things inside.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I don't have a CEL.

Inspection is a good point I forgot about. Do you live in an area that does checks? I guess I assume everybody is as lucky as us Iowan's.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i got to put the smog pump back on my f350, but all the other hoses are removed from the engine, but it needs to be there for the "visual" emisionss

but putting a dummy smog pump on sounds like a good idea.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts
i took mine apart and took the blades out of it and put it back on. i was kinda wondering if ti could be used as a small supercharger type of thing. more or less just something to push more air in along with the regular intake, but i thought of this after i demolished the blades

·
Registered
30 Posts
similar problem

I got an 83 5.8L. The smog pump was bypassed because it was frozen... SO i have a question... What and how do you tell the difference between a port in housing and a port in end plate? or does it matter which one you get?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you not understand the word "port", "in", "housing", or "end plate"? :scratchhe It's like asking which way to flip a switch to get light - toward "Off" or "On".Only if you want the original hose to connect to it. :shrug
I'm not necessarly sure what the port is. I'm kinda new to some of the stuff so don't get p155y plz. it's annoying when you "big shots" who know what your doing have to make fun of people who are new to DIYing. So it'd be nice if your not going to actually give me a real flippin answer, then don't post. jacka55

·
Forward Some Money
5,097 Posts
Michigan doesn't have a inspection for this.
IIWY - I would still replace it and not bypass. Michigan may not have an inspection but there are plenty of other states that do. You may need to sell one day, and having it emissions/equipment "correct" may make the difference in a sale or a higher price.

I also belong to an early Bronco forum and it's a common complaint about POs who have removed and destroyed stuff for which the current owner is now responsible. As they age and scrap value goes up, some of these parts are going to become harder to find. Some of the EB stuff is pretty high.

Additionally, just bc they dont test you doesnt mean that you are not legally required to have that equipment. EPA wins.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A hole. "THE" hole - the one where the activity occurs. In this case: where the air comes out of the pump.
Thank you, that is what i was wanting to know. And i'm sry for flippin it's just doin' a search on google i couldn't find anything that actually gave an explaination of the two. and also the haynes manual doesn't have ish on it. And honestly i'd rather not put u on ignore list because i've found, thru my many searchs on here, u tend to give good posts.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
It's easy, and very effective.A hole. "THE" hole - the one where the activity occurs.

:histerica:rofl: Oh God, Steve, you're killin' me. :thumbup

·
Registered
300 Posts
Keep the smog stuff. I took mine off while I lived in Florida cause it stopped working and now I live in IL and I have to keep it registered in FL, kind of a pain. Also if I ever sell, I can't here in IL unless I pony up for the emissions stuff. Keep it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts