Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if you can remove any smog equipment on a 90 302? There seems like there are a lot of vacume lines and whatnot running around the engine compartment that get in the way. I know a couple of people with Jeep CJ-7s that had a really crowded engine compartment but got kits that eliminated most of the vacume lines. Thanks

:rebelflag

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
First, alot depends on the smog regulations of your state. That would be the first thing you need to know. Second, most of the "vacuum" lines in your engine compartment have nothing to do with Smog. Your 302 should have a Cat, Smog Pump, and EGR valve. Aside from the few lines that go with them, that's it. If your 90 302 is anything like my 88 302, you can't even see the hoses for the EGR, it runs behind the block to your cat. The only thing that I could see that "get in the way" would be the hoses off of your Smog pump, but even that is disputable. You could remove your cat and Smog pump as long as there are no emission checks in your state, but even that is debatable on how thorough your inspectors (if you have to get it inspected) are. Plus it can effect performance (not saying it will, but it may).

As for the CJ-7, if I remember correctly the CJ line stopped production in 82 or 84, so most CJ-7's and CJ-5's were made before most emission regulations and what emission stuff they may have, most likely isn't checked because of their age.

Lastly, the kits you refer to for the CJ-7, I"m not familiar with, but if they remove most of the "vacuum lines" I would have to assume it has nothing to do with emissions, and more with removing actual vacuum lines. Also, most (if not all, not real familiar with Heeps) CJ-7's and CJ-5's are carbureted, your 90 302 Ford Bronco is EFI, so all the clutter in your engine compartment serves important purposes, telling your computer every little detail of your engine so it runs as (supposedly) efficiently as possible. But that discussison is more for FIREGUY50 to respond, not me.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
WAC said:
Hey I was wondering if you can remove any smog equipment on a 90 302? There seems like there are a lot of vacume lines and whatnot running around the engine compartment that get in the way.
What do they get in the way of?

Does your state or county have a inspection of any kind?

Does your Bronco have the factory cats, aftermarket cat or no cats?

Depending on the answers to these questions you may be able to remove the thermactic AIR system. (the large hoses and valves next to the pass side exouhst manifold) But thats about it. And if it,s working properly and/or you live in a emissions area you might want to leav it alone.

If you do remove it you will get the following codes during a KOER test.
44 and I am prety sure 45 and 46

Look here for the code definitions
http://fordfuelinjection.com/codes.html

This shouldnt be enuf to turn on the check engine light.

If you really want to do this I suggest reading this entire site front to back.
http://fordfuelinjection.com
That way you will understand a little more about your EFI system. :santa

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Yep, the air pump can go. Get a belt 2" shorter. The hard lines along the pass side of the motor can go too, makes spark plug service much easier. Anything connected to the air pump can go, freeing up a lot of room on the pass side inner fender. Not that I've ever done any of this.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Piece of cake.

Pull your motor and everything else out of the engine bay.

Buy a carbed crate motor and stick back in your engine bay.

Don't move anywhere that you need to pass a smog inspection of any kind.

Piece of cake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-There is no smog or inspection checks here

-The hoses and whatnot just get in the way durring engine maintenance

-The CJ ended in 86, lots of vacume lines, all were carb'd

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
WAC said:
-There is no smog or inspection checks here

-The hoses and whatnot just get in the way durring engine maintenance

-The CJ ended in 86, lots of vacume lines, all were carb'd

Thanks for the replies everyone.
As soon as mine turns 20 it's smog exempt here, so that pump and it's piping are getting pitched ! It's a real pain during plug changes on that side. I had to put a pump back on for the last 2 years for inspection purposes. One thing to remember is the pump will seize up minutes after you pull it off and no amount of penetrating oil is gonna help you later.

I'm keeping the cat as I went out to a custom built 3" highflow cat and a flowmaster 2 into 1 Y-pipe just ahead of it, so I'm not giving away any flow with or without it.

As for the EGR I agree with others here that you need it, if for no other reason than you'll easily lose 2-3mpg without it.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so you can take off the air pump and its plumbing and not hurt anything?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts