Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the pig to the smog guy. Page One shows all passy. Page Two no passy. Smog guy can't give me any ideas (literally and legally) but he says 'The answer Rick lies below your knees'. Perfect, he's a funny Korean dude and I'm thinking it's like one of those great Asian riddles from a bad novel or Indiana Jones flicks. So I cruise over to some mechanic friends of mine and the three of them all say Cat convertor no bueno. Fine, whatever. Swing buy a muffler shop and he says 'You're missing the forward cat, someone hacked it out and welded a pipe in it's place. That one's gonna run you $460 installed.' Well that's a shock to me since we bought the truck like that and it passed before. Hmmm. Then he looks at the back cat and says 'That one's two twenty installed, I can do it right now but I'm not sure that replacing just the one will get your HC and NO and Co low enough to pass'. Great, 700 bucks I don't have today......Ricky not happy.

Any brilliant ideas out there to get me thru this as inexpensivelly as possible?

Truck history---'87, <400 miles on Ford Factory crate 5.0, all stock, fresh plugs, wires, cap and rotor, O2 sensor, timing perfect. Tested all engine sensors and all look good. BUT I haven't yet cleared out the old codes from last week, run it for an hour or two and then re-code. Should I do this first?

Thanx,

Rick

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
Yeah, you're high on every measured pollutant. If it were one or two, we'd start looking at other explanations, but I'm agreeing it's your non-functional catalyst(s). I'm not sure if it's permissible in your locale, but I would highly recommend that you find a single three-way catalytic converter to replace the two monsters originally placed on these trucks. Make SURE you attach the Thermactor (air injection) tube to the new converter. You can probably find one on eBay for $50 or so. Mount it as close to the engine as you can, so the converter lights off quicker.

Oh, and as for the Korean man's advice: he meant 'use your feet.' Also known as walking. :rofl:

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all did this muffler guy offer to kiss you before he tried screwing you, damn.

Shop around my man shop a-round.

No he didn't, I don't think I was really his type.......

On the other hand though, when I got back to the house and searched a bunch of smog threads here I did find that E-Bay guy that sells the Catcos. Unfortunately his mail box is full, his phone goes to v-mail (with a page option but he hasn't called back yet) so now I haven't a clue on which other C.A.R.B. approved high-flow cat will work on rear single 3" pipe.

Oh btw Sig, good call on the Fail reading---Two bad out of three means other things wrong, yes? But 3 out of 3 equals bad cat it seems.

Thanx again Gents,

Rick

·
Registered
225 Posts
Damn dude that sucks... I flunked my smog test today as well. Can you believe he sent me home without a certificate just because I have a tiny crack in my air box lid?? Unbelievable...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
Swing buy a muffler shop and he says 'You're missing the forward cat, someone hacked it out and welded a pipe in it's place.
Fek Ricky !

From what I've read about C.A. you ain't supposed to F with a working system. That said, yours no longer works.

Did you know you can go name brand Bassani for half what these local dicks are offering you ?!?!?!?!?!!

You'll also be picking up a sheeeetload of mileage and performance improvements. Catco system is a better price, but compared with what they're quoting you you could go Bassani and still save money.

You're lucky your new Korean friend didn't run your @$$ into CARB and have you're testes removed for the infraction.

Sixlitre

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fek Ricky !

From what I've read about C.A. you ain't supposed to F with a working system. That said, yours no longer works.

Did you know you can go name brand Bassani for half what these local dicks are offering you ?!?!?!?!?!!

You'll also be picking up a sheeeetload of mileage and performance improvements. Catco system is a better price, but compared with what they're quoting you you could go Bassani and still save money.

You're lucky your new Korean friend didn't run your @$$ into CARB and have you're testes removed for the infraction.

Sixlitre

My brain is finally clearing up and it just dawned on me that the guy I bought this Bronk from in '04 owned a auto repair joint. He also smogged it for me the day I bought it---well at least he gave me a cert to take to the DMV that let me register it in my name. But I'll garantee you I did not cut out that upper cat. If it gets ugly I still have the reciept from this guy and I've already made friends with my local B.A.R. expert in my area. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Anyways I'll check into that 2 to 1 Bassani goodie that you mentioned Six. It is all Cali legal and stuff, yes? Oh yeah, can I pull the neg battery cable tonite to clear any codes, put 40 miles on the truck tomorrow morning and then re-code this thing? Or is there a better way?..........

RB

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
My brain is finally clearing up and it just dawned on me that the guy I bought this Bronk from in '04 owned a auto repair joint. He also smogged it for me the day I bought it---well at least he gave me a cert to take to the DMV that let me register it in my name. But I'll garantee you I did not cut out that upper cat out. If it gets ugly I still have the reciept from this guy and I've already made friends with my local B.A.R. expert in my area. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Anyways I'll check into that 2 to 1 Bassani goodie that you mentioned Six. It is all Cali legal and stuff, yes? Oh yeah, can I pull the neg battery cable tonite to clear any codes, put 40 miles on the truck tomorrow morning and then re-code this thing? Or is there a better way?..........

RB
Sounds like he doctored the last report

That there is a Federal offense ain't it;) maybe you and your lawyer oughta go down and offer him a chance to make it right before you lay it all out in front of CARB ?

Search for that Bassani Y-pipe. Even if you get hosed on it, it'll still be half what you've been getting quoted

Sixlitre

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I'm sure you ran across one of my threads in searching, but i passed the CA test recently with a whole non-stock system. It was all working fine before too.

I'm running JBA headers into a Bassani Y pipe, then one Catco hi-flow cat, then my flowmaster 40 and thats it. Passed with flying colors. Didn't need two cats either.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dateline, Redondo Beach, Ca.........

Even though none of you guys ( :cool: )advised me last night on how to properly erase codes from the truck I went ahead and disco'd the neg cable all night. Re-installed it, drove the truck for 15 miles and then performed KOEO test. Passed, showing nothing but 11. Next was KOER. Here's what I got;

#21. Water temp sensor out of range (I already new this and am putting in the new sensor in 20 minutes).

#52. P/steering switch open/on. This is a project I haven't yet jumped into but the p/s makes a bit of noise even when I'm not touching the wheel. I'm guessing that's what generated the code.

#77. Operator error wrt to WOT test. Yeah, I missed the memo that said to punch it after the number 10 popped up on the code reader. I'll be sure to stomp on it during the next re-test.

Anyways gentlemen, that's all that's coming up right at the moment (unless something else shows up after the next reading and the WOT trick). So are we all still in agreement that the smog failure is due to a dead cat?...........

Rick

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dateline, Redondo Beach, Ca.........

Even though none of you guys ( :cool: )advised me last night on how to properly erase codes from the truck I went ahead and disco'd the neg cable all night. Re-installed it, drove the truck for 15 miles and then performed KOEO test. Passed, showing nothing but 11. Next was KOER. Here's what I got;

#21. Water temp sensor out of range (I already new this and am putting in the new sensor in 20 minutes).

#52. P/steering switch open/on. This is a project I haven't yet jumped into but the p/s makes a bit of noise even when I'm not touching the wheel. I'm guessing that's what generated the code.

#77. Operator error wrt to WOT test. Yeah, I missed the memo that said to punch it after the number 10 popped up on the code reader. I'll be sure to stomp on it during the next re-test.

Anyways gentlemen, that's all that's coming up right at the moment (unless something else shows up after the next reading and the WOT trick). So are we all still in agreement that the smog failure is due to a dead cat?...........

Rick
Water temp sensor reading out of range will probably make it run rich...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
Um...do you realize this thread was from last May?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Um...do you realize this thread was from last May?
Whoops... I was searching something else and didn't give it a thought.. It's nice to actually get an answer about what the problem is for others looking, seems a lot of ppl don't say once its fixed... :doh0715:

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Hey.. Ya never know.. The bronco may still need to be smogged.. LOL

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
It's nice to actually get an answer about what the problem is for others looking, seems a lot of ppl don't say once its fixed... :doh0715:
Bingo. A lot of threads never have a "Fixed" or "solution" at the end which causes people who have searched to post the same question. :toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoops, sorry Moz, you would be correct....this truck has created a few other threads that sorta chronical several different situations. But in a nut shell wrt to this thread, I put on a new Catco 3" in/3" out cat, tweaked the timing and then went back to the krazy Korean---passed like a champ.

Then I discovered a bad #8 piston and bearing. The story of that little saga is in here somewhere...........:smokin:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Whoops, sorry Moz, you would be correct....this truck has created a few other threads that sorta chronical several different situations. But in a nut shell wrt to this thread, I put on a new Catco 3" in/3" out cat, tweaked the timing and then went back to the krazy Korean---passed like a champ.

Then I discovered a bad #8 piston and bearing. The story of that little saga is in here somewhere...........:smokin:
Ouch... that sucks. Hope it all worked out.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ouch... that sucks. Hope it all worked out.
Oh yeah, despite some obstacles I pulled it off. In fact have been using this as the dd instead of the F350 since last July. Handles like a Porsche compared to slamming that pig around for the past 8 years................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts