Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
the bruise
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have an 86 fsb with the 5.0. my question is what types of problems will i have as far as smogging and being street legal when i do my 5.8 swap. does the state know my truck is the 5.0? I am planning to bore out the motor and do alot to clear up the airflow. thanks also what do i need to do to the tranny when i do this swap. . thanks jimmy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey i did the same thing two years ago i have a check sheet ill get out tomorrow and show ya.They flag every ****ing thing known to man.You have to make sure you switch shit that you didnt think you had to.Im in san diego and it took me 6 months to get done.Stuff like air box on a 5.0 to 5,8 looks the same but its not. Good Luck :whiteflag

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I did my 5.8 swap and took it to the smog guy here in Riverside a few months ago.. They scanned the Vin but then saw it was a 5.8 and smogged it like it was a 5.8.. didn't say anything to me.. Only asked me why my mass air sensor wasn't hooked up and I told them I changed my intake tube from aftermarket to stock and that it was the only one I could find.. my 5.8 came from a 96 f150..

passed with flying colors... (Once we put the stock size tires on it.. Long story short.. don't smog your bronco with 40" tires.. it'll throw the readings off something fierce.) heh

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wish mine went that easy it sucked but worth it in the end.The dude i had was such a dick, then he flagged it and the dmv sent me to a smog only place where they teach people sucked.Southwestern college if you have any choice dont go there cause its techs in training with all the proper technique no sliding at all.I got all new door stickers that show the motor and all that crap .It was a learning experience.:scratchhe

·
the bruise
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well i am going to be building up this engine, and hopefully if you can let me know whats on that sheet i will be able to start aquiring things i need. thanks man. oh and liftedhorse,if you think doing engine swaps are fun let me know because i might need just a little help ( i am a vigin with the actual build up, but not dropping an engine) thanks guys jimmy

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
What I have been told...you need all smog equipment that came on that size motor for the year of the motor, if it helps my 85 has the 5.8 and I can snap photos of what ever ya need.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
By california law to swap a motor it has to be offered in the model vehicle you have and it has to be the same year or newer..

When I had mine smogged it was actually idling high.. (1.5 - 2k) and he was cool and didn't mark me for it. (If you want to drive up to Riverside to smog it lemme know)

·
the bruise
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey spectre what year was that engine out of it was an 87 right? my truck is an 86 efi and the engine is an efi as well . so basically i will be using the old engine harness w/ sensors and bla bla bla. ok guess i will be getting the old california special down by the border. then my truck will pass with flying colors, it will be like a ****ing prius on paper.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
You do know that you cant use the 86 302 computer right?

There is no 86 351w computer so you have to use one out of an 88 or later. The 86 harness has some diferant pinouts than the 87 up harneses. If you want to use the 86 harness with an 88 up 351w computer, you will have to change some of the pinouts in the 60-pin connector.

·
the bruise
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good call bro, will i just be doing some splicing or what? i was actually thinking of putting a whole new computer in the truck. is that just hopeful newbie thinking or i am opening up a bee's nest? i was hoping with doing that i will be able to get a little better (than what i would get) gas mileage, and just an overall better running truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had to switch out brain ( bought it at green sales it carries all discontinued oand special order ford parts.Are you getting a complete motor ? My whole harness was switched out ,along with air boxes are different,map sensor and i went to a 3" inch single high flow cat with a x over pipe instead ot the factory Y.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You could do two things.. Swap the ENTIRE 5.8 (smog crap, exaust, everything) and as long as the morot will pass smog you should be able to go to any shop and they will probably not even notice a difference.

you could also drive to Julian and find the most remote road you can find. Something with people living on it but no mailboxes. Then to go Julian's post office and get a PO box with that street name and tell them you live in a trailer. Chance your DMV info to the Julian PO box and you will never be asked to smog your truck again. Just go to Julian every few months and check the box. It's very cheep. because it's a "farm area" the state doesn't require a smog..

My friends dad has a plot of land (no house) and he has never had to smog anything for the last 15 years. This is totally legit and easy if you want to do the steps needed.

·
the bruise
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i used to have a 93 mazda rx-7 and i knew a few guys who do that. but i plan on building up this motor so i will end up having to do somehting like that. or just paying somebody.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Wanna Bronco said:
will i just be doing some splicing or what?.
Youl probably just need to swap some of the pinouts in the 60 pin connector
If you want to use the 86 harness with an 88 up 351w computer, you will have to change some of the pinouts in the 60-pin connector.
:stupid

Wanna Bronco said:
i was actually thinking of putting a whole new computer in the truck. is that just hopeful newbie thinking or i am opening up a bee's nest?
Umm...........
The only way to replace the computer is to replace the whole thing. The only real way to replace part of it would be with a hacksaw, and the mother board probably wouldn't work real well after being cut.

·
the bruise
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the situation is somebody else pulled the blown 351 out and i bought it off them. i have plans to bore out this engine and dump it in my truck with a full rebuild and plenty of new parts. basically the only thing that i am keeping is the block. now i am trying to figure out how this will mate up to my old stuff and if i just need to replace all of it, which i wont mind because in my mind this seems like a better idea instead of trying to figure out whats good and what will work, thus the questions about the computer. so if need be i will yank the mothership right out. does that make sense? or again am i getting myself in too deep. i am actually trying to find the computer on line and i cant find one as of yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Call el cajon for or drew ford and get the phone number for green sales i think thats the name.He will have the part or can get the part for ya.619-464-7777 or 619-579-8888

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Wanna Bronco said:
i have plans to bore out this engine and dump it in my truck with a full rebuild and plenty of new parts. basically the only thing that i am keeping is the block. .
You do know that you can only change so much before S.D. wont accept it dont you?

Wanna Bronco said:
now i am trying to figure out how this will mate up to my old stuff and if i just need to replace all of it, which i wont mind because in my mind this seems like a better idea instead of trying to figure out whats good and what will work.
If your 86 harness is in good shope then there is no reson not use it, you just need to make the pinouts in the 60pin connector match the pinouts for the 88 up computer.

Wanna Bronco said:
thus the questions about the computer.
What specificly is your question

Wanna Bronco said:
or again am i getting myself in too deep.
That depends on your knowledge, skill and comfort level. I use an A9-P computer (89-93 Mustang 5.0/AOD) and modified all 3 EFI harneses (Main/Engine/hego) to fit the Bronco. From reading this thread so far I get the feeling you havn't actualy studied EFI verry much, so untill you do it may be too much for you.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=2
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=6
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17

1 - 20 of 27 Posts