Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smoke Coming from Drivers Side Taillight-Pics added

Well, I recently tried starting my 85 Bronco and sitting for about 5 months. I charged the battery and nothing, no trying to start at all. Then I put the charger on the battery will trying to start and smoke started to come out of the driver side taillight. I'm having trouble getting to this area. My back window won't come down and my back door doesn't open. Any ideas what could cause the short? Also, the bronco used blow the fuse periodically that controls the taillights and turn signals.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
117 Posts
You got a short in their, dude. You can get the tail gate open by either removing the panel on the tailgate and looseining the drive motor to disengage the drive gears which will let the window down, or you can loosen and raise the fiberglass top up enough for the tailgate to come down with the window up. Luckily, being that there was smoke the problem area will be easy to find...plenty of burnt and melted stuff.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The tailgate wiring has a plug behind the driver's side tail light (in case you didn't know) so those two problems could very likely be connected.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I hot wired the rear window motor and it worked. Only problem is the window still wouldn't go down. So an hour later, some WD-40, some thinking, I finally got it to go down. Its just the motor didn't do the work, I did. So I got the rear down open and opened the driver side taillight. I found the problem. It appears the wires going into the gate were shorting out on the gate side jumper. The picks are not very good, but I got the two ends duct taped for the time being. The one end is all burnt up so if anyone has any tips on how to fix this, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm willing to bet that Steve 83 has a wiring diagram you need. Search for the memebr and then look at his signature. I would also buy a Haynes manuel if I were you. I have two, one in the garge and one in my room.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,333 Posts
Thanks, I'll search for that and get a manuel.
Ok, for the record,

this is a manual .................... and this is Manuel. I don't think he knows much about Broncos. :toothless

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, whoops. I don't think I want no Manuel.

One thing I did find yesterday while working in the back so that I have some rust on the rear floor. 2 holes that will need patched up. Its just nice having the bronco come alive after so long of just sitting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts