Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seafoamed my truck earlier, and while it was sucking it through the brake booster, it started smoking like crazy from the back of the engine (exhaust mainfold im guessing)... is that normal? i know i had a small exhaust leak- but it hasnt showed up since my new head gaskets.
im going to wait until morning to smoke out the nieghbors.
thanks,
ace

·
Registered
150 Posts
its normal if you have an exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
hey--i think you just stumbled onto a great way to determine where the exhaust leak is!! And it helps the engine by cleaning it out :chili:

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that sone hell of an exhaust leak... i guess we're not takin the bronco down to galveston tis weekend...
thanks,
ace

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well I just seafoamed for the very first time 2 days ago... and I too saw the smoke rolling up between the engine and firewall... and near the exhaust mani's... it turns out the smoke rolled forward from the exhaust under the truck and came up where I saw the smoke. :) So I think that might be it.

BTW: SEA FOAM *UCKING ROCKS*.... idle's like a new crate motor... NO MORE piston knock.. the tapping sticky lifters are GONE !
I love this stuff !

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
My bronco was so clogged up the first time I used it took two bottles before I started seeing any smoke. Then all holy hell broke loose and you couldn't even see my three story apartment building next to the truck! ah aha ha ha ha!

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah- i let it smoke out this morning (i let it sit for 14 hours), and i think i set a record. 30 straight minutes of smoke, then i still had some puffs of smoke coming out after 40. fimally cleared out after about 45...
my truck is still messed up, need to test my injectors- damn thing wont stay running...
can anyone beat 45 of smoke? this might be worthy of its own thread...
ace

·
Registered
221 Posts
Elvis-

These are the same symptoms after seafoaming my '89.

We are in the mode now to replace the engine, carbon broke loose and ruined the valve in #8, and lost compression on #4.

I would keep a look out for fouled plugs and pinging in the mid range power.

FWIW, just don't somebody else to have due an engine swap ahead of schedule.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i seamfoamed after the engine started being a b*tch.
it was misfiring when i would be at a light. so i figured i needed new plugs, maybe a bad wire.
so i do a tune-up, and its even worse! and there was a really strong smell of gas coming from the fuel rail area.
so i thought it might be a clogged injecter, so i ran some seafoam through the booster line and in the tank... nothing changed...
so- now itll crank, run, but only with you foot on the gas- and idling up to 1500rpm. if i drop it down to even 1k rpm, itll start to shake like crazy. if i let it idle down to 700rpm, itll knock from the crackshaft. and if i let it idle on its own, with no help from the gas pedal, itll die...
so- with the smell of gas- im thinking maybe a bad injecter is causing some problems?
my new plugs are gapped to 0.45- is that ok?
im kindof lost at the moment- so any help would be great!
thanks,
ace

·
Registered
221 Posts
1. pull codes, ????
2. Similar symptoms about idle were intake and plenum gaskets in my BKO
3. I assume you've read the IAC cleaning threade?

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IAC was actaully acting a little funny.
when it would idle up when its cold, itll jump around from 1500rpm to 400rpm back up to 1100, down to 700... it would just go everywhere!
ill go out and take it off tonight and clean it up- see if that helps.
thanks,
ace

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would still pull codes and also give some consideration to fuel delivery, filter, and fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill be checking the injecters sometime tomorrow. i found a set of new injecters for 260 from summit.

ill change out the filter tomorrow as well- just because its cheap.

ill check the fuel pressure, and the regulator tomorrow as well. hopefully its something simple.
ive never been able to check the codes from the check engine light- no matter how many times i search!
ill borrow a code puller from a friend and check them.
thanks,
ace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts