Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the story. I drive up to the local BP to get gas for the pending 2-8 inches of snow thats coming. Approximately 3 miles away. As I'm pulling in, smoke starts coming out of the vent on the passenger side nearest me. I immediately stop and turn off the truck. The smoke smells awful. I get out, pop the hood and I see nothing in the engine bay. I wait till the smoke clears out of the cab then walk into the store. I did have the heater on while driving since its like 15 degrees. I drive home with the heat turned off. No problems. When I get home, I turn the heat on for a minute and it seems to be working fine but that smell is still there.

I searched and it seems the heater core is a popular choice. The floor wasn't wet on the passenger side and the winshield wasn't foggy so I'm not sure thats what it is.

Any other options on what it might be? I'm trying to get ideas before I get off work tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
does it smell after antifreeze? on my 83 its easy enough to check, i should know ive replaced it twice, lower your glove box there should be apanel with a couple screws remove the screws and pop the panel off and maybe youll find some antifreeze laying in there, i would think your 85 is the same

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
do you have AC?
Did you have it set to defrost?
did it smell like burning rubber?

If so, then it is prolly your ac compressor clutch burning away. disconnect the wires going to it and you can still run your defrost.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Did it smell like burning organic material, likes leaves or mold or anythign liek that?

It's pretty common for leaves to get hung up inside the blower housings on these trucks. Get the hot air off of the heater core blowing across it plus the blower motor resistor equals burning leaves and a cab full of smoke.

Justin

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It didn't smell like leaves but once the sleet and rain and snow is over, I'll dig in a see what I can come up with. Hopefully its an easy fix but I think its burning rubber or something of that nature. Maybe antifreeze, I've never smelled that before.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
probably your ac compressor clutch like said above that happened to me and the smell was so bad i had to stop my truck and get out i just bought a used compressor and it has severed me well ever since but then again like you said if you don't have it then that cant be your problem good luck tho hope it works out

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
had exactly the same problem myself ,... it was the core,.... bin it , slap a new one in there and you will smoke no more my friend!,:thumbup................ trust me i'm british!:toothless:histerica:beer:drinkbud:rockon

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
I had smoke come out of my vents after I added some oil and driped some on the exhuast manifold. Once it burned off the smoke was gone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had smoke come out of my vents after I added some oil and driped some on the exhuast manifold. Once it burned off the smoke was gone.
Yeah i had that too, there is a return line from the manifold that goes back to your air cleaner & the air cleaner has a hole in it directly above the exhaust.......BUT mine only did it when i was holding Full Throttle
Remember, in order to get that bolt really tight... The Australian Way........STRIP IT..............THEN BACK IT OFF 2 TURNS..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts