Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving along in the rain stopped at a light and a small wisp of smoke starts coming from the hazard light switch. I pull over and shut it off, and it continues. I look under the dash and see nothing, but now there's smoke coming from the dash un near the windshield, not a lot but enough to worry me. So I grab an adjustable wrench and pop the hood... As I do, with the key out I notice the left turn signal indicator on the dash is on, not blinking and Then the check engine light comes on. I disconnected the battery and got it towed home.... Any one have any ideas what I'm in for tomorrow when I take my dash apart.... In the driveway.... In a snowstorm tomorrow as it is my only vehicle? Doubt I'll get much sleep tonight.....

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
do you have trailer light wiring ?
I have seen these cause grief(short out) and then in turn melt hazard and or turn signal switch

do you have any modifications to ANY lights on the vehicle(as in non stock bulbs )

sounds like maybe the harness started to melt and short into other wiring(hope not for your sake)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have trailer wiring,in fact my brake light fuse blew yesterday. It's been wet Rainy and snowy here. None of my wiring is new though. In the fall I re wrapped and sealed both my tail lights and auxiliary reverse lights as the reverse light fuse blew during the rain. The fuse under the hood that put my trans into limp mode. I'm hoping its just the multi function switch and some burnt wires but this is the kind of stuff that can get expensive.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so here's the latest.... the wiring harness from the multifuntion switch has some burnt wires. I'm assuming as they shorted each other was why the left turn signal indicator came on prior to me unhooking the battery. My next question is why? did the harness just get brittle and old? well, I opened the fuse box and the 15 amp fuse I replaced the other day from my brake light circuit was MELTED.... again... why? Cheap fuse I guess... So now I have to repair the harness after it stops snowing and change the fuse and hope it was the harness causing the fuse to blow... if not, then I have to figure out why the fuse blew. It was raining and wet out, but I have re wrapped and fixed the harnesses in both tail lights in the fall. I've had this bronco for over 15 yrs, I don't want to get rid of it and really can't afford to. But Electrical demons could be the end. It's my only vehicle and I need it to be reliable. I'm no stranger to electrical installs my truck is loaded with electronics, nav heated seats, remote start etc....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MFS was replaced with a brand new one in 2005, I have a spare off a parts truck. My prior issues with blowing this fuse have all been tail light related on wet rainy days. All this is since I was hit in the drivers rear quarter after the repairs I found some kinks and breaks and repaired them in the fall. Strange thing is that the 15 amp fuse that blew is suppsed to be stop lamps turn signals and hazzards, but the turn signals and hazzards always worked, I only loose brake lights when that fuse blows. And the only way I even know it is the indicator on my brake controller... which I check often when braking....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I spent a few hours on it today. I got as far down the harness as I could. All the wires are still shorted together deeper into the harness. I checked with an ohm meter and almost all of them are shorted together. Way deeper then I am capable of fixing. So since paying someone would cost way to much. Looks like I may need a new truck. Prolly something newer... I love bronco's but I'm tired.... I'm so damn tired....

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
man that sucks..you're really lucky that didn't catch on fire.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
wow,
wondering why a fuse or fuse link didn't stop that from happening

did someone remove fuse links from harness near starter relay?

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
easy fix, go to junkyard clip off a new harness, solder and shrink wrap onto yours. I can do it with my eyes closed. Check the rest of the harness and see is there is a rubbed off coating anywhere that could of caused it. Will be less than a $15 repair not counting the new indicator switch.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
1) Because a fusible link has to supply MANY circuits, so it won't burn until a LOT of simultaneous low-current shorts occur, or one BIG one. This was just a few small ones; probably one at a time.
2) Because each fuse is only designed to protect its designed circuit, and this was an interconnection of MANY circuits.
3) Because there was an existing failure that supplied power to a circuit when that circuit's fuse was removed, so that fuse wasn't protecting anything.
true, if a couple small shorts happen ,it could melt truck down completely and not trip a fuse

I work on a lot of English cars so I know a lot about wiring that has had the smoke let out of it!

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
yo A,
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
http://www.hollanderparts.com/
Select All Parts
year, etc, then FORD TRUCK

--
or
http://www.copartfinder.com/finder/searchMake.do
Has Vehicle Pics!

http://car-part.com/
Here are some results for 92-93 Bronco wiring harness
Non-Interchange search using only Ford Bronco (Full Size)
Dash Wiring Harness
Ford Bronco 5.8L,AT,AC,4X4,PW,PL,PM 211260 $175 Albany Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-GA(Albany) E-mail 800-873-1669

Engine Harness Wiring
Ford Bronco C12425 $55 Action Auto Parts and Recyclers USA-OR(Central-Point) Request_Quote 1-800-443-0513 Request_Insurance_Quote

etc.
...OR
Request a Quote from hundreds of recyclers
===

http://www.picknpull.com
This is a Company name w/yard locations in various states

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not an easy fix for me.... I'm done... I will be parting the truck out most likely or selling as a Whole for no less then $5000. It's my daily driver, I can't justify fixing it, it would take me months to do it in my driveway only to never be sure if I found the problem.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll get it easy parting it out, and I'll be done by the end of may once I get my new truck, looking at 2005 ish F-250 /350's with the 6.0 Diesel.. and selling most of my tools... I'm done working on cars... DONE

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'll get it easy parting it out, and I'll be done by the end of may once I get my new truck, looking at 2005 ish F-250 /350's with the 6.0 Diesel.. and selling most of my tools... I'm done working on cars... DONE
If you're done working on cars or being stranded, I'd advise you to stay the hell away from a 6.0L diesel by Ford unless it has been "Bulletproofed" and there are receipts of the work/parts. 6.0's are bad news: Headgaskets, turbo's, EGR coolers, all like to fail.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're done working on cars or being stranded, I'd advise you to stay the hell away from a 6.0L diesel by Ford unless it has been "Bulletproofed" and there are receipts of the work/parts. 6.0's are bad news: Headgaskets, turbo's, EGR coolers, all like to fail.
My friend who owns a towing company has a bunch of them, he'll do any wrenching required...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Even if he sells every major component for $500 (which ain't happening) there's no way he can get $5k out of it. People don't spend $500 on any part of these trucks. People buy engines and transmissions for $200ish unless they're desperate or dumb, there's plenty of useful stuff in the junkyards.

Somewhere there's a CL ad for OP's Bronco full of crap like "$5000 firm" "no low-ballers, I know what I got"

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts

·
imdabes
937 Posts
if you dont want to fix cars anymore you need to get a new car with a warranty. Buying a 10 year old vehicle isnt the way.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like he could fix the Bronco for a lot less than a new truck will cost you. :shrug
"I" couldn't, I've had it for 15 yrs and wanted to keep it until I died. ANYTHING other then electrical I would fix, I've replaced the engine with a crate motor from ford 70K ago.... but I'm not gonna buy a vehicle to drive for the month or two it would take me in my driveway to re wire the harness that burned, only to have it happen again becuase I don't know what caused the problem. There are plenty of guys who think electical issues are easy... those guys may or may not be comfortable working on other things. I'm not a mechanic, I know broncos only to the point that I've had too....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts