Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i check my oil and there was smoke rolling off it. i dont have blow bye.
i do run castrol 5w50.

so is it time for a cooler or a thinner wieght.

·
Southeast Utah Native
919 Posts
No. The exhaust manifold transfers a lot of heat to the dipstick, it's not uncommon to see the dipstick smoking a little when you check the oil after the engine has been running for a while, especially if you're driving at slow speeds.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
abra said:
today i check my oil and there was smoke rolling off it. i dont have blow bye.
i do run castrol 5w50.

so is it time for a cooler or a thinner wieght.
Just out of curiosity why do you run 5W50... maybe 20W50, but I thought 5W50 was for new cars or something. (based on the fact that it is a pretty much brand new weight of oil)

·
Registered
303 Posts
5w50 is for cars i would go to 20w50 it will be better protection for your truck. I my self use 10w30 and a bottle of lucas additive witch jumps it up to about the same as 20w50. Yes the smoke is fine mine has always done it after i put my headers on.:goodfinge

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been comtemplating a swich to a heavier weight. I still run 5/30 and it is handilng it just fine but I do have a lsight tick. What are the advantages of 20/50?

·
Registered
319 Posts
thicker, hangs around on your moving goodies longer, a lil more sluggish but better protection, i like 10w40, best of both worlds i would say

·
Registered
195 Posts
Standard filter? Or dos it require a different one? And does it negatively impact oil pressure?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
quiefinator said:
thicker, hangs around on your moving goodies longer, a lil more sluggish but better protection, i like 10w40, best of both worlds i would say

thicker aslo gunks up faster, and it does stick around the moving parts. like this

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Run 10W30 during the hot times, 5W30 during the winter months. If you have a tick, you might switch over to a Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDDO) in 10W30 (Mystik JT-8 is a great one) which has much more cleaning and protective capacity then gas oils ever could hope for. If you have an old worn blowby'ing engine then a diesel-rated 15W40 would be a good bet.

Those heavy 20W50 oils...I hope you guys live damn close to Mexico. The "protection" you get with that heavy of an oil at operating temperature costs you A LOT of wear and tear every time you start your engine up. Which..guess where most wear occurs. At Startup.

·
Registered
343 Posts
hehe funny story.......

I was driving my frends camero about 90mph down hwy-101 when everything shut down... stearing.. motor... everything... I somehow got her over to the shoulder and pulled the dipstick !! DRY !! and SMOKE WAS COMMING OUT !! turns out he NEVER... NEVER PUT OIL IN THE THING !!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Alright last stupid question.....what is the difference between 10/30 and 10/40? I used to have a Cherokee that I ran 10/40 in and I have a whole case of it left. Can I run this safely in the Bronc?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
The second number is the viscosity @ normal operating temperature, i.e. it acts like a 40-weight motor oil at ~190 degrees. Stick with what the factory recommends, and don't deviate from that unless you live in an extreme climate.

I used 5W-50 in my Mustang's engine. It's now sitting on an engine stand due to rod bearing failure. 'Nuf said.

·
Registered
195 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
The second number is the viscosity @ normal operating temperature, i.e. it acts like a 40-weight motor oil at ~190 degrees. Stick with what the factory recommends, and don't deviate from that unless you live in an extreme climate.

I used 5W-50 in my Mustang's engine. It's now sitting on an engine stand due to rod bearing failure. 'Nuf said.
Factory says 5/30 but this is 190,000 miles later. Shouldn't i be looking to run something a little heavier....especially for summer?

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
I like 10w40, it's like quiefanator says you get the best of both worlds. My 86 302EFI had a rebuild before I bought it and the motor has maybe 35-40k miles to date and the oil holds up, I change oil/filter every 2500-3000 without fail. I Sea Foam inside and out periodically and it runs strong. Not a lot of power, Not great on gas, but ya just gotta love them Bronco's. They're like children who need a lot of attention. lol

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
SigEpBlue said:

Agreed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts