Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bronco, not me!!! :smokin: For about the last month every time I start the truck it smokes like crazy and stalls out if I try to drive it right away. After about 20-30 min it clears up and runs fine. The smoke is very white in color and smells like gas. (stinks up the whole block). I'm thinking it's antifreeze/water because of the white color. Oil would be somewhat blue, right? What about the gas smell though? I'm going to try and re-torque the intake manifold bolts to see if coolant is getting in that way.
Any ideas???:shrug Thanks, KENNY

1986 302 EFI

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
If it's a gas smell maybe your rig is running to rich..If it was antifreeze, you would be smelling the coolant, and it would be constant. Are you smelling coolant?

·
crank trigger
8,159 Posts
gas will come out as white vapor too. hold your hand in the exhaust and take a big ol' sniff? gassy? there's your answer. Also, keep a tab on your fluid levels as this will help id the substance as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Antifreeze will have a sweet smell if getting in the exhaust, also will turn into a cloud and hangs around for a while, dosnt disipate(sp?) real fast

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It absolutely smells like gas, but clears up both in smell and smoke once it warms up. I havn't made any adjustments to the throttle body so would the mix (ie. to lean/to rich) just change by itself. I don't smell any antifreeze, just gas. How do I adjust the mix to see if thats the problem. I've never messed with fuel Injection stuff before. I thought all that stuff was controlled by the computer.

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
Do you have a CEL? If so are you getting any codes? Have you rebuilt the injectors recently? One may be leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No CEL. The motor was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago, but the manifold, injectors, etc are all from the old motor. I have an extra manifold loaded with injectors. Could it be as simple as the o-rings on the injectors?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it smells like gas, then its getting to much fuel. Could be a bad coolant temp sensor, leaking fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator, map sensor and so on. Should get it scanned for codes if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm cutting out of work early today so mabey I'll run up and try to get it scanned. I hate all them damn sensors and $hit. Would it make sense that the problem goes away when it warms up? That may narrow the problem down a little.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the same problem.

Turned out that the Fuel Pressure Regulator was dumping raw gas into my upper intake.

Pull the vacume hose off of the FPR and see if it's squirting gas out.

It looks like this:

It's located near the firewall on the driver side.

Mine acted like yours until the diaphram in the FPR completely gave out, then it filled my whole engine with gas. I ended up pulling the oil plug and dumped 21/2+ gallons of oily/gas crap into the drain pan.

The motor blew about 2000 miles later, and when I pulled it open to take a look, the whole motor inside was clean as a whistle. :doh0715:

good luck

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
DrFeelGood said:
The motor blew about 2000 miles later, and when I pulled it open to take a look, the whole motor inside was clean as a whistle.
Thats becouse you had gas in the oil. Always change the oil after you replace a failed FPR.

·
Lick my balls
13,047 Posts
Yes, definitely check for codes. It could also be your O2 sensor, or maybe you need a new cat.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Goodyear wants $89.95 to scan for codes. To much for me. I'll give it a try with the blinking lights. (Thanks Gacknar). Tonight I'm going to check the injectors and replace the o-rings. If that doesn't work I'll change the FPR and the o2 sensor. I could use an oil change anyway so I'll do that too. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.:thumbup Keep em coming.
KENNY

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
it sounds like a fpr to me to mine did the same thing. ran rough, died, fast idle, and smelled to all hell. no codes to be found even with scan tool. Changed coolent temp, o2, map, had computer reflashed. all to be a 35.99 fpr so check your fpr.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
Cobra#3747 said:
autozone or other parts stores will usually scan them for free.
Or you can do it yourself, in your driveway, for free, wyle drinking a beer.:beer

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be using the "wyle drinking a beer.:beer " method. Seems to be the most efficient and user friendly. FPR and oil change right after work tomorrow.
Thanks again.:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,047 Posts
1989bronco said:
it sounds like a fpr to me to mine did the same thing. ran rough, died, fast idle, and smelled to all hell. no codes to be found even with scan tool. Changed coolent temp, o2, map, had computer reflashed. all to be a 35.99 fpr so check your fpr.
what is an fpr?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts