Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i put a new IAC on and fixed the throttle return spring and got it running. So now it smokes pretty bad and smells like its running rich. please help. thanks

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Well, for starters pull codes. That will get you in the ball park.

My first guess is something to do with the ignition system.
Do you have good wires (how old...not"they look pretty good")?
How old are the plugs? Are they Gaped Correctly?
How is the spark? (Bright Blue or White?)
Fuel Pressure? (Good/Bad?) around 35-40psi is where I believe it is suppose to be.
What else did you mess with?

When you stomp on it does it blow black smoke out of the tail pipe and idle rough?

You have to give a lot more information on your problem.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
boeamos:

First I would pull codes from the PCM and see wat's going on.
Where's the smoke coming from? engine or tailpipe etc.

I would use the "search" above and see if there are any threads similar to your problem.
You can disconnect the IAC and using your Dash Tach, set the idle by adjusting the idle stop screw and Haynes book for idle reference.

Yoy also might want to pull the TB and clean it with TB cleaner only and replace the gasket if necessary. Just a thought.

:thumbup

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its got brand new spark plugs, the wires are about a year old. all that i have messed with was the throttle body but i know that it is good now. it did set for about 3 months.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be defective , you know? :doh0715:

Did you pull codes yet? :banghead

What was wrong with the old IAC? Sometimes they just need to be cleaned on the valve part, try not to get TB cleaner in the solenoid that's attached because if it hasn't all evaporated you can fry it when you hook it back.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
CHECK YO TPS!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ive read the whole code pulling procedure and went and searched for the STI self test in plug and i can not find it anyone know where it is maybe a picture. i went and drove it and it is black smoke out of the tail pipe and no power at full throttle feals like i didnt even touch the gas but its a smokin

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Hmmm...mine is an 88 and the STI plug is right near the fuel relays are. That is on the drivers side on the inner fender and if yours is still stock, I would say check for a Triangular shaped plug. Should be around the Air box.

Again, I am unsure since yours is an 86...but should be there. Mine is grey colored. Look good, it will be a single plug.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
First you can go to Ryan McCromick's site www.fordfuelijection.com he is Fireguy50 a FSB member, the site has a picture of what the plugs look like.

On my 86 they are located on the right inside fender liner area off the wiring loom behind the EGR solenoid reservior, that's the black plastic half a box which sits behind the battery. One is a red and the other is tan, oddly shaped.

There are numerous threads on "how to" pull codes using a number of tactics. I have a Ford Code Reader with book that just plugs in but do the "search" and see what you find.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Check the fuel pressue. I had a 88 F150 that smoked really bad. I thought the motor was toast found out after I sould it that it had a defective fuel preasure regulator. cheap 45 dollar fix. what it does is put to much fuel in the cylinders and washes the oil out causing it to smoke. get it fixed asap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts