Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a soft top and yes it has the wonderful snaps. Does anyone have any pics with the top on and off showing what the snaps look like. I'm not sure if I want to drill all of those holes. thanks:thumbup
by the way I did search and the only good pics I could find had the fast track tops.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
and the inside
[/IMG]
stc tonno, i like but the snaps anger me

·
Registered
173 Posts
89XLT said:
So when the hard top goes back on the snaps are covered?
On my STC snap top (one that can still have back passengers) if you want to put the hard top back on you have to remove the rails that the snap are on. These rails are held to the body with sheet metal screws which is fine except you'll have the holes exposed on your tailgate. There are ways around this, I remeber someone had written up on a rear rail that wasn't screwed into tailgate. Or go with the fast track. I personally leave mine on year round (and we get alot of rain) and you could probably do the same in cali as long as your not in the mountains (snow wouldn't be good). I'll try to get some pics if you want.

·
Registered
173 Posts
NDIXIE said:
I bought a used soft top and need to replace some of the snaps. I have looked for a tool to do the job but all I can find is something that looks like a punch. I have been looking for one that looks like a set of pliers (if that make sense). Can someone direct me in thr right direction?
I have popped a couple snaps on mine and I went to a local upholstry (sp?) shop specializing in custom tops and they have always replaced them free of charge. If you find a place they may charge you a small fee. It takes about 30 seconds and they use some kind of special pliers. They may be able to tell you how to get a pair.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool thanks for all of the info guys I just wasn't sure if I was going to have the snaps showing on the body. Sounds like it will be alright

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
oregonian said:
On my STC snap top (one that can still have back passengers) if you want to put the hard top back on you have to remove the rails that the snap are on. These rails are held to the body with sheet metal screws which is fine except you'll have the holes exposed on your tailgate. There are ways around this, I remeber someone had written up on a rear rail that wasn't screwed into tailgate. Or go with the fast track. I personally leave mine on year round (and we get alot of rain) and you could probably do the same in cali as long as your not in the mountains (snow wouldn't be good). I'll try to get some pics if you want.
mine goes on the same way

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
preacher said:
Hobby Lobby or Michael's crafts stores have the snaps and snap pliers that I put a few back on my soft top and pop up camper with.
Yea, that's what I did, a little craft store will sell a little button kit (mine has no plyers, it's a kit with like 7 buttons and a punch).

Not really that many holes to drill. Here is a link to my install of the STC (formely Kayline) soft top back in '03: http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=628&s=13093#content

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
89XLT said:
Cool I don't know why I was thinking there would be snaps along the outside of the body
I have actually seen a truck with that...was like WTF?

You see my pics on how NOT to put drill holes in the tailgate for the aluminum channel?

And if you are putting on a full soft top, have you seen my pics on emptying the tailgate of the window and window motor/arm assembly?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I saw your pics I think I will go your route on eliminating the snaps for the tail gate. I may gut the tail gate too not sure I will probably wait and see how I like the soft top, just in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts