Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found very little on this.

I'm wanting to put a snorkel on my bronco but I'm dealing with a carb so it doesn't seem to be as simple working with EFI. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any ideas or have any pics of their own setup.

Thanks

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
well the bf cut a bucket hooked it in where the air cleaner would normally go then ran a big piece plastic pipe out the side of it and out the pside fender (although he hacked most of it off to save his new boggers) then up the side of the windshield. although not pretty and due to alot of heavy mud getting stuck on it ripped off the window it worked just stuck it into the wing window then.

·
My Ass Is A...
985 Posts
I'll let the pics tell the easy and cheap version...

I ended up using 2x 90 degree bends instead of flex pipe through the cowl

The end result will not win any awards for aesthetics...But it works well:thumbup

I found a nice replacement cap that is MUCH more durable and looks MUCH better. I got a 3" pre breather for a semi tractor air filter (Donaldson) will add a pic later...$15 bucks and it is much stouter than the gas pipe vent:thumbup

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The Safari Snorkle for the Land Rover Discovery (I forget what year) sits almost perfect on the Bronco fender. There's a write up on it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. Expensive, but looks real nice.
KENNY

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Love the Idea Oxi, I was thinking more about ideas and scrummaging through the plumbing section than I was working today. (Ace is the Place).

Something I just learned though is the hose coming off of the breather cap that attaches to your air cleaner, what did you do to accommodate?
Also, any reason why the PVC gains girth before it enters the dash from the outside?

Zane

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Swampwalker3 said:
Love the Idea Oxi, I was thinking more about ideas and scrummaging through the plumbing section than I was working today. (Ace is the Place).

Something I just learned though is the hose coming off of the breather cap that attaches to your air cleaner, what did you do to accommodate?
Also, any reason why the PVC gains girth before it enters the dash from the outside?

Zane
For the breather element, I just ran a longer line right above the brake booster and put a filter on the end (the type that used to sit inside the old type air cleaners). That line could easily be plumbed into the main snorkel line (after the air filiter) with a fitting.

The bulge in the line is for a cone air filter.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Spookshow ONE said:
Any suggestions for coming straight up HMMWV style?
Here's a hacked/simple one I made for my rock crawler. Used RTV to seal up all the holes/seams in the stock air cleaner. Not gonna be running 6 feet or more water in that, so it wasn't as ciritical as my mudder.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The removal of the heating/air unit simple enough (For someone that has to ask)?

I want to run my pipes out to the passenger side, but the unit is in the way and consdering I never use the system in my truck so I doubt I'll ever use it in the BKO. Also, it looks like it's been dead for quite some time..

And; I'm wanting to stick with the size of the dist. inlet, so 4" would be my motive of use, however it's a tad beefy but doesn't damage my line of veiw (Pillar), but considering trails and the sort, that's a massive over hang. Would breaking down to 3" be suffice for a 360 engine?

Zane

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I found that one Snorkel that people said would work... the one for the Land Rover discovery... would that work? I think I'm going to sit down and combine ideas.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Swampwalker3 said:
The removal of the heating/air unit simple enough (For someone that has to ask)?

I want to run my pipes out to the passenger side, but the unit is in the way and consdering I never use the system in my truck so I doubt I'll ever use it in the BKO. Also, it looks like it's been dead for quite some time..

And; I'm wanting to stick with the size of the dist. inlet, so 4" would be my motive of use, however it's a tad beefy but doesn't damage my line of veiw (Pillar), but considering trails and the sort, that's a massive over hang. Would breaking down to 3" be suffice for a 360 engine?

Zane
I wouldn't use anything less than 4"IMO

·
Registered
854 Posts
What's everyone think of the Hummer set up.

I'm having a hell of a time finding the proper air canister (Even stock) for my carb and the PVC and rubber isn't going to work for me. This Holley is too high, so I was thinking of just having it shoot straight up out of the hood. Have like two different sized pipes; one for road use and the other for trails known to have water crossings..

I'm thinking that's my only option.

Zane

·
Registered
237 Posts
AKBearMoose said:

QUOTE]

If this bowl were engineered into the lower filter housing(pointing up as it is in this picture with the lid upside down) you would have an extremely mud/water resistant air cleaner! Water would have to slosh into the hole at top to enter the carb. Shoot! The engine might starve for air and shut off before water could enter the cylinders and Hydro-lock! In case you "accidentally" entered deep water. I honestly don't see how it would help against water intrusion as it is pointing down into the carb, perhaps funneling water into the carb. Am I looking at it right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts