Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a snorkel for my 93 because i cant find a sane priced one let alone one at all. Any advice?

·
Back in Action
6,590 Posts
I am looking to build a snorkel for my 93 because i cant find a sane priced one let alone one at all. Any advice?
Nobody ever made them for Broncos. However Safari makes them for the Land Rover Discovery that fits the Bronco's pretty well. They are expensive though.

Other than that.... You have to make one:thumbup

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I see most people using PVC piping and a mesh screen. Looks like hell..personally I'd go for the safari snorkel and deal w/ the cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that answers why I cant find one. guess I gonna put that on hold for now. Next question the previous owner but a K&N cold air intake on and i want to get an air cleaner box back in should i build one or Junk yard it?

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Go to the junk yard, you should be able to find one for next to nothing. The safari snorkel looks good on the bronco's if thats the route you are going with yours, if you look around you might find a good deal on one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting I am gonna look into the custom box method and see if my buddy could plastic weld it.

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Check out JrdBronco he built one for his 93. But honestly snorkels aren't worth it.... If your going into water over your hood invest in a boat.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Heres a pic of mine, I used 14ga sheet metal.On the back side there is a 3'' inlet pipe.

IMO the factory setup is only good for street driving, the snap together plastic lets lots of mud and water into the box and you have to hope your filter stops it all from going into the engine.

If you search ghetto k&n i think you will find some more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I made this one. Works great. About $35 in 3" PVC. Pretty much drilled a 4" hole to fit the elbow through. Conveniently, the throttle body is about 3", so I just used some heavy duty sealant and stuck her in there. For aesthetics, painted it black with some Krylon Fusion for plastic. Used a doubled over piece of door screen for a filter. Sounds pretty sweet (they call it the loud pedal for a reason :thumbup). It's actually attached to the body for support using a chair "L" brace and a ziptie. Looks exactly like what it is, $35 worth of PVC, two zipties, and a chair brace...but it works.

·
Registered
91 Posts
u try it in the water yet?
Yep. Completely airtight but the electrics shit the bed:doh0715:. That was the reason for the "Sixlitre" tuneup. New coil, ignition box, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. :banghead but not a drop of water in the engine. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,449 Posts
Half the reason for the snorkel is NOT for going under water. I want one because the air 6' off the ground is much less dusty and cooler than the air being sucked in from right above my radiator. I never plan on submerging the thing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Half the reason for the snorkel is NOT for going under water. I want one because the air 6' off the ground is much less dusty and cooler than the air being sucked in from right above my radiator. I never plan on submerging the thing.
Also true. You dont have any of the crap coming out of cars or dust being kicked up from big rigs or diesel fumes from school busses.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Theres my 40 dollar snorkel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
in my humble opinion i would rather spend the extra money for the safari one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts