Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, with the debate of whether or not chains are needed aside, I wanted to find out any chain recommendations for my 94 bronco with stock rims. I'm running 31x10.5x15. I've searched the net and came up with the following ones. Not sure if anyone has them to comment. Or if there are better ones out there, please let me know.

SCC Z-Chain - http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=31x10.50-15LT&model=Z-579&f=chainz_c.htm

Thule XG-12 (very pricey, prolly not worth the cost difference) - http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=31x10.50-15LT&model=255&f=ThuleXG12_l.htm

Diamond Chains from tirechain.com (the first two on the top left for $94.99. any issues clearance wise for the 4.5mm that doesn't meet S Class requirements?) - http://www.tirechain.com/31X10.50-15LT.htm#9

The main use will be for boarding up in Tahoe so they will be on-road. I will probably only get one pair although I've seen posts that suggest chaining all four.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
You need chains in Cali? Snow get that deep??

Just get some aggressive tires...and wheres Tahoe?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Around here they willl turn you around if you don't have chains with you.The main thing about chains is keep them tight.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You need chains in Cali? Snow get that deep??

Just get some aggressive tires...
:stupid Many of us who have lived in the snow belt our whole lives will agree. Tire chains are a little bit of overkill. Just get some good tires. Not neccesarily boggers. Actually as tires go, the wider the worse in snow. Rule of thumb for winter tires is to not go over 10.5" wide. You can go wider but the wider tires tend to float more in snow than narrow ones. You want tires that will dig down to the hardball & go. But then again I run 33 12.50s but Ive also been driving in snow for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Don't know how much snow you will be driving in though I will say that chains provide traction unmatched by any tire!

I hate to put them on, the ride is terrible with them, wears your tires, and fear them breaking and damaging the vehicle. Though I own chains for for all but my front wheel drive car. If I drive in the winter in any area that may get snow I have chains in the vehicle. I have drove my 2wd Durango with chains on in a foot of snow up an icy road.

One thing about chains is the only work if the are installed, and they are difficult to install if your vehicle is stuck.

You stated your use would be on road. Based upon the fact you have a 4x4 I see little need for chains though you could purchase a set to have just incase.

There is my two cents for what its worth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

As sar450 also noted, I've encountered a couple of situations where CHP required me to put on chains. I know the snow up in Northern Cali and Lake Tahoe, NV isn't close to what some of you guys come across in the winter, but unfortunately, its not an option sometimes to go without them.

Around here they willl turn you around if you don't have chains with you.The main thing about chains is keep them tight.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Hi Guys,

As sar450 also noted, I've encountered a couple of situations where CHP required me to put on chains. I know the snow up in Northern Cali and Lake Tahoe, NV isn't close to what some of you guys come across in the winter, but unfortunately, its not an option sometimes to go without them.
I dont honestly have any idea what amount of snow they get around in that general area...I imagine it is a good bit at times.:shrug

Ive had regular street tires and driven around mostly in 2wd in 1.5ft snow/some ice and it wasnt that bad. Although I have to say, if the weather is that bad, and you need tire chains, why are you even out on the roads?:scratchhe:twak

I agree, if you think you may need them, buy a set to keep on hand, chains in the rear and 4wd should be plenty to get you through most of the white stuff :rockon

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm pretty sure when he said Tahoe, he meant Lake Tahoe which is a major ski area in Nevada? Tire chains are always a must on maintained roads that see that much snow and traffic. The snow turns to ice, and then the fun begins, unless you have chains... I would imagine the cable chains would be fine for minimal use (they tend to break easily from what i've experienced). If you're just keeping them in vehicle just in case those should be fine. I'm not sure if there are les schwab tire centers down there, but they have the really nice cam lock beefy chains for about $100, thats what I use, and they are very durable and easy to install.

The ones i use aren't on the site, but still gives kind of an idea:
http://lesschwab1.reachlocal.net/tires/winter/chains.asp

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
just flip the switch

p.s. eljosho do you have any more pictures of your winch mount setup?
perhaps a writeup or maybe a post in the custom bumper thread?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hey neighbor.

I always carry chains, but honostly, if the conditions call for chains AND 4wd, its a bad day in Tahoe. Ive never put em on and barely had it in 4wd going up there.

So id say just get cheap chains since you will rarely use them (unless you went up during this storm, holy crap they are getting some snow) and they will just sit in the back of your truck.

Oh and make sure you know how to put em on and get em tight.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would go with the Thule XG-12's they are awesome chains. I have a set for my work truck. With the center chains running around the circumference of the tire they ride much smoother than chains with just crossbars on them and once you get them good and tight you can go much faster than the crossbar type.

For you snow belt guys that think you don't need em. The majority of people in Cali have no clue how to drive in the snow and it adds a margin of safety to be able to get out of their way or stop quicker when they're doing 360's as they slide down the hill. Besides the highway patrol requires them quite often even on a 4x4 with snow tires.

To the guy that asked if it snows that much in California. The sierra mountain range is under a blizzard warning as I type this. They are forecasting up to 10 feet of snow this weekend alone.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
The Sierra Nevada's just got a foot or two, and I think today they are expected to get several feet in a very short period.

But I'd think they would keep the major roads plowed pretty decent, though with that much snow it might be hard to keep up.

What is Cali's law on chains? Couple weeks ago I posted over in the Mountain States forum, RE: Chain Laws, at least in Colorado and Oregon, Chains are not required on a 4WD vehicle equipped with tires rated M+S.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
You'd be surprised on how many people I see freak out when it snows an inch or two around here. Even with 4x4 people will drive retarded, its like they never have seen snow before. 4x4 works great in the snow, you just need to know how to use it…just remember we all stop the same:thumbup

God I would love to have that much snow fall right now.

-Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

See requirement #3. I've seen it happen many times on I-80 between Reno and Auburn. Four wheel drive may keep you moving foward but it won't help you stop. Like I said earlier MOST people in Cali have NO clue how to drive in the snow.
I see.

That i'll agree with, and am probably guilty of with little experience. But I know the slow down, lots of distance, cant stop rules enough to get me around safely. Most CA drivers think they speed as fast as they want and stop as fast as they want in all kinds of conditions (ever drive 280 during a rain storm, so many spinouts its not funny) Its tough to learn to drive in the snow when you rarely go up and need 4wd. I went up for many day trips last year to dodge ride and bear valley and the roads were clear:doh0715:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm pretty sure when he said Tahoe, he meant Lake Tahoe which is a major ski area in Nevada? Tire chains are always a must on maintained roads that see that much snow and traffic. The snow turns to ice, and then the fun begins, unless you have chains... I would imagine the cable chains would be fine for minimal use (they tend to break easily from what i've experienced). If you're just keeping them in vehicle just in case those should be fine. I'm not sure if there are les schwab tire centers down there, but they have the really nice cam lock beefy chains for about $100, thats what I use, and they are very durable and easy to install.

The ones i use aren't on the site, but still gives kind of an idea:
http://lesschwab1.reachlocal.net/tires/winter/chains.asp
Hey ElJosho, whats the width on them there tires on your rig? I was thinking 4" and 33's but I have the same paint scheme and the 6" with the 35s look great on your truck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was when in North Lake Tahoe for Christmas (3 hour drive away ) . For those who don,t know theres a North and South shore route,s . North shore goes from I-80 South shore goes from Highway 50 .Both are mountain passes with big up and down grades . On Highway 50 at the sumit pass it is a two lane road with a rock/stone wall (about four feet tall ) on the other side of the wall its at probly at least a thousand feet of steep mountain drop . So when the weather gets to bad they will close it . I-80 is has more lanes and room so the can keep it open most of the time . I-80 is a major trucking route when the weather gets bad all the Bigrigs start plugging the roads up . Once there are requirements they will meter the traffic and only let you go futher on if you have four wheel drive or chains . Then the traffic will back up for miles there will be cars pulled off the road for mile scrableing to put chains on . The worst part of driveing up there is the sumits thats wear the nastiest weather and conditions will be.
Brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
p.s. eljosho do you have any more pictures of your winch mount setup?
perhaps a writeup or maybe a post in the custom bumper thread?
I custom fabbed it to my sway bar mounts, i don't have any pics at the moment, but i plan to do a full write-up sometime soon. Basically a piece of 5" channel spanning the frame rails, welded to the sway bar mounts, and then bolted to the frame rails with grade 8 bolts. I welded a piece of hitch receiver stock to that. Then used a 6" drop hitch to mount the winch to. Pretty simple! :thumbup

Hey ElJosho, whats the width on them there tires on your rig? I was thinking 4" and 33's but I have the same paint scheme and the 6" with the 35s look great on your truck.
The tires I got from my brother (i'm really low on cash right now cause i'm getting married :toothless) They are an off brand all terrain 35/12.5. I still need to get stupid stage 2 drop brackets for the front end :duh (my cousin gave me the lift for free :toothless

BFG all terrains are great for the snow/ice by the way!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I go to Tahoe constantly and if you have 4wheel drive with snow tires they will NEVER make you chain up. I dont know what some of you are talking about needing chains on your bronco going to Tahoe. If you read the signs it says CHAINS REQUIRED OR 4 WHEEL DRIVE WITH SNOW TIRES. It doesnt say 4 wheel drive with snow tires and chains. On top of that normally they dont even stop you. They just hold up 4 fingers most of the time and you get to keep on rollin. I drive for Coors and I go up to kirkwood to deliver a lot and I have to chain my delivery truck up all the time and they always just let most suvs and trucks roll by them and dont stop them or talk to them. Someone will prolly disagree with me and say that you need chains but trust me you dont. I do agree that most people suck at driving in the snow, and I also agree that chains would give you more traction but 4 wheel drive with snow tires works just fine. Go slow. My 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts