Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a western unimount setup(off a 91 f-250) for $400 and it appears it could work but some things are in the way. is an f250(with leaf sprung ttb) frame wider at the front than a broncos?
need help on this quick so if it doesnt fit i get a refund.
Tim

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, a Bronco wasn't meant for plowing. Yeah, I know, people do it all the time, that doesn't make it ok. The frames are built differently, and the front suspension isn't made to take the extra weight and leverage, even with air bags in the coils. How long do you think your steering will last, throwing around an extra 4-500lbs? Or your brakes? Your trans?

If you're stuck on owning a plow, I'd recommend buying a dedicated plow/work truck

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I don't think the frame is wider but it is different so the brackets will not work. Dave, I have to disagree with you. As long as you don't go bigger than 7.5' and have the heavy duty front or aibags a Bronco or F150 is a great plow truck. The axle is more than strong enough and the drivetrain is a very solid one. My Dad and I have each plowed with numerous Broncos without a problem. My current one is only my second but my Dad has been plowing with Broncos since 1987 and not one issue. The guys that work for him run GMC 2500 and 2500HD's and they are no stronger than a Bronco. His guys have gone through multiple trannys while everyone of his Broncos has performed flawlessly.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
As a plowing vehicle...it will last just as well as you treat it.

Just like everything else. My dad and I used to plow with one of our old Jeeps...that way it was cheap and easy to fix if/when we broke something.

:santa
Bill

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
yea i plow with my f150 and air bags but as stated above it will last the way you treat it ...i have the granny low 4 speed so i just put it in first and crawl right along...I am not doing to much commercial garbage...also check out plowsite.com for infomration on plowing, forum and such

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
ive been wondering the same thing. the guy that plows our lots at work makes $170 per trip. not bad for 30 minutes worth of work.

T

·
0 Posts
F250 is leaf sprung. Yes the frames are the same except were the F250 front spring perches would be.

Before there was air bags, we used to add air shocks to the front and pump them up with the plow on it.

The plow will tear it up, but nothing that cannot be fixed. They work pretty good, a little light, but the turnning radius is great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You might want to check out a company called "snow away" they are about 80 miles south of Greenbay WI. just off of I think 42 They have hitches for just about anything I am sure they could tell you. Their web is something like www.sonwaway.com Just work at it an it should come up

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Well I would have to say that a Bronco or any short wheel base vehicle for that matter would not be my choice if I were to approach plowing as a biz.

There is a guy that has a Bronco that plows here and he is always calling me to pull him out. He says it gets thrown around quite a bit and no matter how much weight he puts in the rear. He has a front ARB and a Detroit in the rear.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrighty heres what i decided to do. im gonna take my truck to a metal working shop and there gonna make the frame a custom fit for broncos. only catch is i cant drive mine for 2 days. there gonna cut and drill new holes so it can bolt on. BTW the snow plow is good money around here b/c everyone freaks out at like 1/2in of snow.
Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts