Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up there last weekend for the storm of the year, conditions were awesome! We got over 3 feet of new snow in Green Valley, in some places the drifts are even higher...and they are calling for a little more possible Friday/Saturday this week.

My plan is to head up Friday afternoon and go wheeling Saturday. Will start in the Green Valley Lake area near Crab Flats (3N14). Likely meeting spot will be the Valero gas station in Arrowbear (just past Running Springs). Yet to set a time, but likely about 9:00 or so...traffic up the hill on Saturdays is a mess usually, so give people extra time to get up.

I'll keep you posted as we figure it all out. Conditions will be the best (or worst, considering your point of view) of the whole winter. Deep, light snow...those of you with chains, they can make a huge difference. Shovels are a must, as are recovery points both front and rear. Winches a huge plus.

If you have never been snow wheeling, you will most likely get stuck...unless you hang out in the rear of the line and let everyone else do the tough trail breaking work. We usually like to take turns. We'll just go as far as we can, maybe end up on Holcomb Creek trail or something...just depends on how tough it is out there. Sometimes the plain old fire roads are tough enough.

Ok, hope to see some of you up there!

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,582 Posts
Can I do it in 1 axle drive?

not gonna happen again this year for me....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just in case anyone is interested:

We will be shooting for 9:00AM Saturday at the Valero gas station in Arrowbear. That station is just past Running Springs, you can't miss it. They are calling for more snow Friday and Saturday, so be prepared to show CHP your chains (they most likely will be required if it snows). Bring plenty of food, water and warm clothes, plus a shovel and tow straps. We'll start out in the Green Valley Lake area, go down towards Crab Flats. Our Adopt A Trail is always fun in the snow, we can try that (2N54 - "Snowslide Trail") or whatever we want.

Please post up here if you plan on going so I know how many rigs to look for Saturday morning. Also, keep in mind that ski traffic will likely be heavy since everyone will want to get up to the new snow. So give yourself extra time (probably close to an hour?) That is why I would like to go to Green Valley area, since we don't have to fight the traffic all the way to Big Bear Valley...:beer

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Sorry Keith, I couldn't make it up today due to steering issues, but I'll be heading up in the AM to meet in the same place with another group at 9am. Anybody else?. Everyone is welcome as always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts