Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Should I SuperCharge or TurboCharge? Are either an option?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 years old and me and my dad went out and bought a 1983 Ford Bronco, 300 inline 6cyl, 4x4 with manual lockers, 4-spd, and 4:10 gear ratio. I don't know a whole lot about trucks but I wont to learn. I'd like to give it more power because I wan't to put 33' or 35' tires on it. Any mods out there I can do? Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Mudboy247365

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Perform scheduled maintenance and enjoy it. If you want to play with power adders get a Mustang.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it. I would kill to have a bronco set up like yours. Take good care of it and put some miles on it. The 300 is perfection just as it is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Although I voted Supercharged, I agree with the post above. Just leave it alone. The cost and complexity with adding a supercharger properly puts you in the range for a different truck altogether.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Man you guys are such downers. If you have the means and funds, throw a turbo on it. That's what tinkering and the hobby is all about, and will be a much more fun and interesting ride to boot.

Just make sure you understand that reliability, driveability, maintenance, and cost will all be increasing. If you're cool with and are prepared to deal with all that, go for it.

Lots of trucks have turbos on them. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Leave it alone. We ran mid 1980's, 2wd F250 trucks with the inline 6-cyl in the oilfield back when they were new, and that motor is an anvil! Those trucks were dragged through the muddy fields by bulldozers, beaten on, and hauled just about everything. If the bodies hadn't rusted off the trucks, I'm sure they would still be on the road today.

The thing about changing parts is that once you begin, there's a legitimate need to change something else, until eventually you're in so deep that your bank account is drained and you've got a half-built rig sitting under a tarp in the driveway. It's a snowball effect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would drive it for At least a few months and see if you really need more power. Don't need to go fast just need to be able to climb up a phone pole when needed haha

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Pictures and Welcome to our Home, Please take the time and click on the "VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE" so we can get more exposure and Members as yourself...

You can click on "Vote for TOP 4X4 SITE" On the bottom of my signature or go to "Other Forums".

Thanks,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Don't do either one, I voted turbo because it's simple IMO to do but as above mentioned, snowball effect.

Wrong truck and wrong motor to be doing that too. The 300 is a stout reliable motor that will probably outlive you if you do routine maintenance. You just described a pretty much perfect truck that would make feel like I'm in high cotton to have at 17.

My 89 up I had 3:55 gears and a 5speed no granny low that pushed 40 inch mud tires easily. Yeah I might not have won any high speed races but I never felt a need to regear. You have a trail rig, rock crawling, mud crawler truck from the get go right now. If you want to go fast, learn from me who had the same approach as you 4 years ago at 17, keep the truck, leave as is and buy a hotrod. LT1 Camaros are all over for cheap, 4.6 mod Stangs are all over cheap. 350 Iroc-zs and 5.0 Foxbodies are still cheap and currently getting harder to find for a more unique hotrod. Or buy a rocket. You could buy a CBR 600 F4i for like 2k and probably be faster than the majority of any car around you or spend some more and get an 600RR or 1000RR for 3-8k depending and literally be untouchable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts