Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Between inflation and parts availability almost every project is a PITA these days. A couple months ago I was looking for a long block and everywhere I checked.....Summit, Jegs, Orielly's, Advance, ATK was all at least 3-4 months out for a long block.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
545 Posts
Lots of extra things to weigh in now.

It used to be easy to build a hot motor in the old days:,
-read some magazine feature writeups,
- talk to a few folks, pick up a catalog, then a phone....
-Drop the new parts and block off at the machine shop, pick it up a week later....
-Shake hands and chew the fat with your machinist, listen to his directions, write a check.....The good ol' days.

Now, supply chain issues, 6 month machine shop backlogs, vendors going out and down and either not providing their goods or refunds.., inferior Chinese replacement parts..
It seems like the average performance build is taking over a year now, just from what I have seen on many different forums.
The thought of doing a new build with new aftermarket performance parts and machining scares the pants off of me.

I would keep this simple, and pick up a good junkyard 351W, new reseal, new cam, oil pump, spray bomb and install. Maybe some GT40 heads swapped on. Home port the intake.

If that wasn't enough power, then 460 junkyard motor swap.

·
Man of endless projects
10,305 Posts
its crazy nowdays. you should check ebay and see what the Lightning intakes are going for now. like $1650 for a production intake, most of them only being the lower

you used to be able do the 3881 cheaper by buying the upper and then using a mustang 351 lower. but doesnt seem like itll save anything anymore. could try and find a china knockoff of the lower. not sure if they are even avalible anymore but a few months ago they were in chrome

im glad i found my intakes for great prices. they were all used but now they are all worth a ton more than they used to be since half are discontinued. Edelbrock Victor EFI, Trickflow R-series, Holley Systemax-II, Procomp Typhoon EFI. all for 5.8

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,386 Posts
its crazy nowdays. you should check ebay and see what the Lightning intakes are going for now. like $1650 for a production intake, most of them only being the lower

you used to be able do the 3881 cheaper by buying the upper and then using a mustang 351 lower. but doesnt seem like itll save anything anymore. could try and find a china knockoff of the lower. not sure if they are even avalible anymore but a few months ago they were in chrome

im glad i found my intakes for great prices. they were all used but now they are all worth a ton more than they used to be since half are discontinued. Edelbrock Victor EFI, Trickflow R-series, Holley Systemax-II, Procomp Typhoon EFI. all for 5.8
Damn I’m glad I looked. I was going to sell it for the $1000 I paid. I may turn a profit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ugh... It does seem pretty dumb to not utilize the full potential of a built motor. If I go with a carb setup what is the best choice for plug and play stand alone control of the E4OD? I'm really only seeing the US Shift Quick 2.

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
364 Posts
im running the baumanator stand alone, its their first gen module. they later changed to us shift. but it still needs to see vehicle speed and tps as well as rpm in order to work. its a small learning curve to tune it though, but it shows live data via a laptop and you can write two different maps, one for race, one for normal or whatever. i had a 4H and 4L map on mine, firm shifts torque converter lock up only after 50mph and trans temp at least 100*. you can change everything with the trans and it comes with several pre programmed maps. all upshifts, downshifts, torque converter lock, line pressure, all kinds of stuff.

if it was me, id do if myselft if the bores are good. not sure how bad the damage is but a good used crank and stock bearings, pistons/rings, skip white aluminum heads, china edelbrock copycat intake, big bore throttle body, good flowing exhaust, and speed density will run that setup, oh yeah, advance the stock cam 4* or go for an efi OTS cam. the only thing you will run into is the 19#ers will be at 100% duty cycle on WOT and may not meet demands that it needs, although mine seems to be just fine, but i shift at 4500.

edit:
i just looked for the china knockoff efi intake manifolds that use to be on ebay and can't find them, i had them in my watch list and they are gone now. looks like your stock with porting stockers. you use to be able to get the 5.0/5.8 uppers/lowers for about $280 ea.

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,366 Posts
Coming from someone who specifically looked for a 351w over the 302, I can't imagine going backwards like you mentioned. But, you don't need my approval.

This night help you get the Edelbrock cheaper

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
364 Posts
can't delete

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
545 Posts
If I go with a carb setup what is the best choice for plug and play stand alone control of the E4OD? I'm really only seeing the US Shift Quick 2.
You can also build an AOD to be really stout. No electronics needed and you have a 0.66 to 1 fourth gear overdrive. You don't have a lock up converter though.....

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
2,099 Posts
You don't have a lock up converter though.....
At this point in the dream build, does better fuel mileage really count for anything? LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Unfortunately I'm married to my E4OD. I roasted it a couple years ago and had it completely reworked... too much money into it to go another route at this point. Otherwise there would be no question about the direction I was headed... and there would be ZERO electronics. I'm used to building and restoring classics [email protected]#K this new EFI / ECU / MAP electronics BS! HA!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts