Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I Shear Bolts
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to put off everyone's suggestions on upgrading my alternator to the 3g and averting disaster. I was taking my family to dinner at the Olive Garden last night and decided not to take the highways and interstate, and instead take backroads. WTH you know, it the same drive time but you get to stop and turn once in a while. Anyway, as I slowed to make a turn I smelled plastic cookin' and I figured it was some local po-dunk burning their trash since the mist was hanging over the fields and smoke would stay low. After the turn I decided to check my brakes... just.. in.. case...

While slowing I saw the battery light on and immediately knew. Truck stopped in some farmers' driveway and smoke rolls out the grill. Thankfully it wasn't too involved until I popped the hood. I keep a fire extinguisher in the back so I grabbed for it and went to apply........ no charge. Full but no charge? Damnit. So my girlfriend and mom are pounding on the doors of this farmhouse while I'm running around the house and barn looking for a hose, of which there was none. While my alternator is burning.... I ran back and tried to .... ........ blow it out. Yeah yeah ya, what was I thinking? Well what else did you want to hear, really?

After no luck anywhere and having a passerby stop and help looking for a hose somewhere, I called 911 and was still trying to blow it out if at least to keep the flames down for a minute. While they were dispatching the local FD & EMS, I actually blew it out. I had them disregard FD but still send a rollback.

So total losses was one 2G alternator, a wire harness, and a vacuum line. I wasn't sure it was out when we all piled in to this rollback but I knew their fire extinguisher worked. Whe we got to the local shop I checked it again and it was hot to the touch but not too hot and the battery was disconnected. I don't know why I had it taken to my shop, I guess maybe just in case I get a free alternator out of this since they've done recent work.

So... :whiteflag :doh0715: :banghead :twak :twak :twak :thumbup :chili: :drinkbud :smilie_slap :smilie_slap :toothless :goodfinge :popc1:

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow! so it was the alternator that started the fire your sure?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
The 2G alternators are prone to catching on fire.

Yeah, a fire extinguisher can have a "full charge" and be completely worthless if it's a dry chem.

If you keep a dry chem in your truck, which IMO, I recommend a dry chem and a CO2, make sure every once in a while, you take the dry chem out and flip it upside down a few times, and pound the bottom of it to break the chit free in there. It tends to compact in the bottom and then become completely worthless.

·
I Shear Bolts
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, positive. I knew it when I saw the battery indicator light. Funny though, the ammeter was still working? Anyway, when I opened the hood, the alternator was glowing and then poofed into flames. I must not have been flaming until then though because the stickers underhood that show the vacuum or AC diagrams were still white...
sucks... er more appropriately....blows
Yea
The 2G alternators are prone to catching on fire.

Yeah, a fire extinguisher can have a "full charge" and be completely worthless if it's a dry chem.

If you keep a dry chem in your truck, which IMO, I recommend a dry chem and a CO2, make sure every once in a while, you take the dry chem out and flip it upside down a few times, and pound the bottom of it to break the chit free in there. It tends to compact in the bottom and then become completely worthless.
Right I've read up on that damn alt here and elsewhere. I've been saving up for one of Ryan's nice alts with 200 amps but the money's just not been there... Well now I'm screwed..

And the extinguisher was a Kiddie ABC dry chem. The powder was still inside but it lost it's propellant. I could shake it and feel it sloshing inside but the gauge read recharge... No powder in the back of the bronco either so I'm unsure of the leak. I'll be checking to see if Kiddie has a warrenty or something over the weekend.
Coulda been worse. here is mine from a couple yrs ago:

Looked like this before:

Now that Blows! Didn't that happen in your driveway about a year ago where you were inside and smelled something burning or am I thinking of some other post? Anyway, thanks for reminding me of what it could've been. It was fate or something that lead me to take backroads because if I had taken SR 49 to I-70 to 75 south, there would not have been any stopping or slowing and that thing woud've cooked through the firewall before I noticed. I owe my thanks to someone for my luck and thanks again for your post. Your misery makes me feel better bout mine.

·
I'm stuck :)
725 Posts
is a 3g hard to instal... thats scary... sucks to here man!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
is a 3g hard to instal... thats scary... sucks to here man!
Yes, it does suck. Ford's engineers should've been criminally prosecuted for allowing that design to see the light of day, IMO. I've seen two catch fire in front of me, several more on the verge of it. Ford must be an ancient, extinct-language word for asking the fire gods to set whatever bears that name ablaze.

The 3G swap is very very easy. You only need to know how to follow simple instructions and use a crimper, or better yet, a soldering iron and shrink wrap.

·
I'm stuck :)
725 Posts
how much does it cost...? im really thinking its time for one... i really dont want to see my dd go up in smoke... especially after the money i just put into it, to lift it...

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
how much does it cost...? im really thinking its time for one... i really dont want to see my dd go up in smoke... especially after the money i just put into it, to lift it...
I don't remember and I can't get to the site from my location. Wasn't bad for everything you got. The alternator itself depends on whatever you find weather it be new or salvage yard.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
They guy at the local auto parts shop sold me a new alternator plug . I spliced it in, and it was $15.00. He said the factory alternator plugs always catch fire. Is this 3 g anything comparable to a new alternator plug? I don't know what a 3 g is, can someone explain please?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
They guy at the local auto parts shop sold me a new alternator plug . I spliced it in, and it was $15.00. He said the factory alternator plugs always catch fire. Is this 3 g anything comparable to a new alternator plug? I don't know what a 3 g is, can someone explain please?
Why don't you try searching! ;)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
produces more power doesn't make ur truck go up in flames in other words its mo better than what u got

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
They guy at the local auto parts shop sold me a new alternator plug . I spliced it in, and it was $15.00. He said the factory alternator plugs always catch fire.
He just made $15 then. You're still driving a fire hazard.

Is this 3 g anything comparable to a new alternator plug? I don't know what a 3 g is, can someone explain please?
No. Read this.

THIS is a 3G (thanks, Fireguy50):

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Why don't you try searching! ;)

I was searching this morning all over the internet for 2 1/2 hours going through all the websites and trying to figure out if my Bronco would be affected by the fires. I found that most fires were to 90-96 Bronco's but some were also earlier models. I bought an auto zone alternator in December, 07 after I found a chevy 350 alternator on mine from the previous owner. I had no idea these Ford alternators caught fire :shocked. I just threw away probably $125:doh0715:.

Thanks SIG EP Blue. I have to share this link with someone else as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i did the 3g upgrade becase of this thread, my bronco and I thank you.

if anyone is interested in doing the same upgrade, search "3G interchange facts" and look for the only thread that looks similar to that.

btw, after 93 broncos came with g3 factory. g3= 130 amp, g2= 75 amp+ potential fire. ford recalled the g2 after several fires, but im not sure about the details.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts