Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for those people, not necessarily on this site that say ain't no way a twin turbo ecoboost can get mileage that bad check this out. I reset the mpg after I got on the highway, so it's all with the cruise set.We don't have hills around here to speak of more like little bumps so mostly flat. These pics were taken after about 45 miles w/ cruise on. Check the tach you'll see I ain't boost stomping it to get it this low. It's running at <100 at 67mph and around [email protected] So far Ford says read the "How to drive" tips and go piss up a rope their ain't nothin' wrong with your truck.

I didn't expect 21mpg like the window sticker says, but I didn't expect this either.
Swamp

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
Mine averages 17, even with my 34.5" mud tires.

What gears are you running? And did you tune it at all for the tires? I'm planning on getting a 2015 and want to run at least 35's but the lowest gear available on them is 3.55. I don't want to tear into the rears on a brand new truck.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
What gears are you running? And did you tune it at all for the tires? I'm planning on getting a 2015 and want to run at least 35's but the lowest gear available on them is 3.55. I don't want to tear into the rears on a brand new truck.
My Tremor FX4 has 4.10s and yes my tuner corrected my speedometer for the larger tires.
I had the same size/kind tires on my '11 Ecoboost Scab w/3.73's and got similar MPGs but slightly less. FWIW my '14 is about 500lbs lighter.
I think you'll be alright with 3.55's and 35's. These things are torque monsters. A lot of people on the F150 forum run that setup, plus your truck will be about 700lbs lighter.
I tore into mine on my '11 and '14 :toothless I couldn't stand the open diff/e-locker so I replaced it with a Truetrac L/S.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The truck is a Screw w/ 6 1/2' box and 355 gears. I'm running all stock tires. That's what's pissing me off. It's rated at 15/17/21. Hell I can't get 15 on the highway. So Here's Nasty with 4.10's and 35's getting the same.
Swamp

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Well, for those people, not necessarily on this site that say ain't no way a twin turbo ecoboost can get mileage that bad check this out. I reset the mpg after I got on the highway, so it's all with the cruise set.We don't have hills around here to speak of more like little bumps so mostly flat. These pics were taken after about 45 miles w/ cruise on. Check the tach you'll see I ain't boost stomping it to get it this low. It's running at <100 at 67mph and around [email protected]
Haha my Bronco gets better mileage than your truck.:goodfinge
So far Ford says read the "How to drive" tips and go piss up a rope their ain't nothin' wrong with your truck.
Of course they did. They're gonna have millions of people calling in complaining that their trucks don't get the advertised mileage, despite the fact that they're in different parts of the country, operating in different environments, under different driving habits, with different maintenance and fuel. Ford doesn't have the time to analyze all the conditions that determine fuel efficiency for every lead footed trailer towing idiot that calls them complaining about mileage. So yeah it sucks they basically told you to **** off, but do you really expect them to pay someone to try to figure out over the phone why some random guy is getting poor fuel efficiency? Seriously whoever answered the phone probably has no clue when it comes to vehicles, They just hired whoever will sit at a phone and answer calls for minimum wage.

Ive heard some ecoboost trucks just aren't getting that good of mileage. That being said many things factor into efficiency, including temperature, fuel, wind, oil ect.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
My '14 F250 with the 6.2 and a utility body averages 13.2. 6.2. utility body. Extended cab. 2wd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well i got ya beat 2012 eco screw 6.5 bed 2.5 level, rear air bags in the back 33.5 inch tires.average 13,5 mpg!
I was told it's because of my lift and bigger tires but i ran it stock for the first 5k miles and had the same horeshit mpg!

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I've not heard of a eco boost truck meeting expected fuel economy.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Seams to me 3 trucks in the parking lot with eco boost and no one gets the projected mileage on stock unmodified vehicles. 5.0 seams like the hot ticket though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my '10 expy. with a 5.4 gets 18-19 on the hwy....something is wrong with that truck.how long have you had it?i think i would take it back to the dealership :smilie_slap and demand a 5.0 instead...tell them it's defective(which it seems it is).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the truck new in Oct. 2013. I began asking questions about the mileage when we got up around 3,500 miles. It gets a pretty consistant 11.4-11.6 on short trips to town and upper 14's on hwy. Yes, I have had it at 2 different Ford dealerships and hooked to a computer. The place I bought it said what I have already stated. The second one said yep, your mileage sucks, but it is at the very bottom of Fords acceptable range so Ford isn't going to do anything. They also stated "Ford knows there is an issue with a certain percentage of these ecoboosts, but they don't know what it is so they are just having dealers tell the owners that it's Normal.
As far as expectations being too high. I think mine were very reasonable. I had expected 17-18 hwy and 14-16 around town. By the way my wife puts 95% of the miles on this truck. We've tried regular and premium fuel. I tried driving hard for a whole tank of gas after resetting the computer and nothing seems to make any difference. Damn, my 03 Screw w/ a 5.4 got 15 on the hwy all the time and that had 3.73's in it. I got pretty much 10 mpg pulling the camper with 5.4.
As far as the 302 I like that motor, but when we bought this they hadn't bumped up the torque & hp numbers to where they are now. Since we pull a 26' travel trailer and I also will haul a truck on occassion I opted for the higher hp and torque of the Eco.
One more thing I can't wait for is to see how bad the mpg gets when we need to use 4x4. So far it's been minimal, but it's coming. Last year we saw pretty much 10.5-11mpg during the winter, but the dealer kept telling us it needs to have 3,500 miles on it before it's broke in. Then it was 5,000, then it was 7,500. Now at just over 10,000 miles it's " That's within tolerance." By the way that mileage in the pics was in 2wd, not trailer etc. This sure as heck isn't my first truck. My 79 shorty 4x4 w/351m 3.5 gears, 4" lift on 36" grand prix's would get a consistent 13 (corrected for tire size I might add) . That was my DD for almost 3 years.
Just venting guys. I just found a site where I might be able to get some information as far as who I might contact at Ford that may be a little inclined to push my issues. We'll see how that works.
Swamp

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Swamp, its probably way too unlikely (considering its turbo'd and the computer should adjust for it), but it might be the elevation, supposing you're at higher elevation, that is.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Swamp, its probably way too unlikely (considering its turbo'd and the computer should adjust for it), but it might be the elevation, supposing you're at higher elevation, that is.
Could be, but hard to say?? I live in hill country USA. I have 12 ski resorts with 1.5 hours of my house. But what I lose in MPGs going up hill I make up for coasting down the other side.
But at any rate...with winter blend fuel and cold weather, I don't see the OP's fuel mileage getting better any time soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts