Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I noticed my mileage suddenly dropped from a reliable 12-13mpg to 10mpg and has stayed at 10mpg ever since. For the life of me I could not figure out WHAT happened to warrant the sudden drop in fuel economy.

Until today.

I was removing my running boards and decided to have a look around (BTW, how important is it that the transmission pan be straight?), and what did I find? Aparently, I hit a rock that decided to come up and hit my exhaust such that the part of the Y pipe going to the driver's side is crimped about half-shut. "So THAT'S why my mileage dropped!" :toothless

Has anyone else done this? Has anyone tried to protect it? (or the transmission for that matter) And can I try tapping it out, or should I just wait it out until I can get a decent Y pipe?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dented pan. Sorry, I'm thinking bodywork terms... It's bolted securely, no leaks, but there's a few nice dents in it.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
My y-pipe is dented, and i've got a pretty bad exhaust leak on the passenger side as a result, tweaked the mount and everything, never seen an exaust skidplate before, just figured i need more lift and bigger tires.

Yeller

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Most every Bronco I've seen has a skidplate on it.Ford E7TZ 7E005 A,if you don't have one scrounge around the salvage yards, You can add an extension shield where needed under the pan by fabbing a some sheet steel and drilling bolt holes so that the trans is servicable. Depending on the amount of exhaust damage I'd probably just replace that section.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I'd take the time to replace the pan....thats just me though. As picky as these tranny's are, i would just find a used one and put it on.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a pic of the plate?

OldYeller, that's exactly what I was thinking! The real irony is I found it the same day I stepped up from 31s to 33s (w00t! Tires bigger than my waist!)

Edit: Good point Rob. Why tempt fate further eh? Do they make tranny skid plates?

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
BRONCFOOT said:
Most every Bronco I've seen has a skidplate on it..
Are you talking about an exhuast skid or a tranny skid, mine came stock with a tranny skid.

EDIT: or at least the PO fabbed one up, I'll get a pic on here one day, but don't hold your breath.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Oldyeller said:
Are you talking about an exhuast skid or a tranny skid, mine came stock with a tranny skid.

EDIT: or at least the PO fabbed one up, I'll get a pic on here one day, but don't hold your breath.
That's a transfer case skid plate not a transmission skid plate

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay okay, so no one makes a Y-pipe OR tranny skidplate? Guess I'll have to figure something out then. Any opinions on bolt-on skidplates? I could potentially make one piece or two pieces to cover everything I want down there (leaving everything inaccessable while it's on), but allow it to unbolt for access...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts