Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the quest to make the best of my 89 Bronco EB 5.0. I am thinking about "reliability" mods and improvements that will make the transmission in my truck work great with my 33inch BFG AT and stock lift etc. Currently there are no problems with the drive line of the truck or any symptoms.

So, those who have an AOD / AODE etc.. chime in on what you have done, what you would do different, what was a bad idea etc.

I think this will be a good thread for fellow aod drivers :)

:popc1:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I installed a shift kit, trans cooler and remote filter and did a complete flush when i got the truck at around 100k. the aod has outlasted the rear end, and engine and is currently survived 2 years behind a 351....im impressed.

the only thing i would not do again is the shift kit...what a pita to install!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I built an AOD a few years back to replace a C6.
I know funny funnay:histerica

Dunno if you want to get to the internals?
Unless you get into the rotating internals, a shiftkit is all I can think of to do.
And keeping up with TV cable adjustment.

Mine had a few items.

TransGo "reprogramming" kit. I wouldv'e rather spent more money on a Lentech valve body, that has an OD lockout solenoid and replaces the 3 positions with 2nd gear function similar to an E4OD.
Ford OE A-servo for Overdrive Band.
Wide Ratio gearset from 4R70w, changing the ratios made the 1-2 shift a bit late.
The gearset enabled use of the 2" wider OD band.
Also installation of more clutches in all drums via use of slimmer pressure plates.

Put about 25K on it before that van was totaled, shortly before it was totaled I was getting parts together to replace it with a ZF I had lying around, that wound up in the next van.
Did some 12-13.5K# GCVW towing a few times without problems.

·
Registered
809 Posts
if you are stuck on an AOD, go ahead and spend the extra dough to get a Lentech, you'll only have to do it once. If i hadn't found a good deal on the ZF-5, that's the route I was planning to take. They are rock solid trannies without sacrificing the OD:thumbup

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Got a used E4OD off of Craigslist for $100
When I had my AOD rebuilt my friend used
all the better parts (planetary) and such
from that trans for my AOD plus a shift kit
and a better torque converter. This gave
me a lower first gear, nice firm shifts, and
hopefully some more strength. Then I added
a drain plug to the trans pan and drain and refill
a few times a year.

Check this place out to. As this was one of my other more expensive options.
http://www.eatmyshift.com/

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i might have to look into some of these for my 93 f150 that i use to plow. from what i can tell, mine is run by vacuum, but i might be wrong.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I did a b&m shift kit, didnt seem to do much so I did a Lentech Cal 2 valve body, and added a deep sump pan. Its working great behind my 351. (having a 2nd gear you can actually select is nice)
Many times I wished there was a 2nd to select on the column. I have done
the first D then first againt to hold second.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts