Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what brand and model everyone has had the most luck with I used a regular fel pro when I built the motor and it's leaked sense day 1. I do like fel pro maybe one of the performance ones? Anyway what brand and model has everybody used successfully

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ford Racing "Viton" Rubber seal is the best.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sold. Lol. U happen to have a link to one handy?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
I've always used Fel-Pro. If they're not installed correctly, they'll leak. That goes with any brand you get.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
I've always used Fel-Pro. If they're not installed correctly, they'll leak. That goes with any brand you get.
This. I've never had a fel pro ANYTHING leak as long as it was installed correctly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally speaking I can say the same. But this fel pro one is leaking. It was the last thing I did when I built the motor so who knows maybe I didn't seat it all the way down when I put it together. But either way I gotta drop the trans and fix it so I gotta decide if I wanna put another fel pro in or something better

·
Registered
870 Posts
if one piece i use a Teflon seal. it has to be installed dry, so the crank has to be completely dry, but once installed correctly they don't leak. have used them in all my engine rebuilds, which makes it easy to install.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
After I built the 351W in my Ranchero, the sonofagun front main seal leaked. Replaced it, it leaked. Replaced it, it hasn't leaked since. I KNOW how to install a front main seal and a speedi-sleeve (the damper really needed it), but once in a while, you get problems that are not your fault or the seal's. What was the problem? The main bearing's line boring moved the crank toward the cam two thousandths of an inch, but the machinist didn't mention it until I asked about it. So I found a Fel-Pro seal that was made for situations like this. And yes, the original reassembly was done correctly. I know because I did it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just seeing what brand and model everyone has had the most luck with I used a regular fel pro when I built the motor and it's leaked sense day 1. I do like fel pro maybe one of the performance ones? Anyway what brand and model has everybody used successfully
The problem is more than likely the mating surface. Use a sleeve to restore proper RA finish and sealing surface for the rear main seal. Victor Reinz makes a nice Teflon(PTFE) piece that is number JV1636. Felpro also makes a Teflon piece which is BS40645. Fel Pro performance also offers a PTFE seal which is number 2921. BS40645 and 2921 are IDENTICAL ,the difference is the packaging and marketing of the piece. Victor Reinz PTFE seals usually are reboxed Felpro.

As far as Ford Performance goes, they are not manufacturers, the supplier is Federal Mogul (Fel-Pro). I'd buy any of these part numbers, but most importantly make sure to sleeve that high mile crank surface.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This fresh 351 I built with a new felpro is dripping, first for me. It's coming apart this weelend and another felpro going in. I'll let you know how it goes and why it was leaking.

·
Registered
567 Posts
not to high jack the thread.
But how hard is it to get the oil pan off to replace the rear main seal ?
Looks pretty tight to the frame.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nothing to do with the oil pan.. You remove the transmission and transfer case..

·
Registered
731 Posts
Then yes the pan. I believe ford 351 blocks went 1.piece around 1980.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts