Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i go with the 203 to 205 doubler, or the dana 60 35 spline outer shafts and hubs?
i ran into a quick $550 this weekend from selling a dodge front dana 60, so i have some $$ to spare
i have a good small block C6 out of my 89 bronco that i would use as my new transmission, then bolt it to the 203 that i had laying in the corner, then bolt it to the 205 i pulled today
the 203 is broken, and 4wd doesnt work, but it should be okay shopuldnt it? seems like it goes into low range fine, and since i only need the front box i should be okay

i already have most of the parts gathered as you see....

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
I went with the kit from 4wd factory for yukon outers, spicer uj'sand warn hubs. the seem nice, allow for full circ clips and seem much more stout than the 30 spline outers. Of course a doubler would be sweet too. Do that and let me konw how it goes.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
the 203 should be fine. they are almost as strong as the 205's esp the part you need for the doubler. the diff inside is usually what breaks. i would do the doubler, but the ironic part is, after that extra gearing and torque, youre gonna need the 35 spline axles. do the axles first, then you can do the doubler down the road when you sell more axles, and you wont have to worry about breakage. or just a flip a coin.

·
Registered
225 Posts
plug ugly, have you got any more info on the yukon shafts? i didn't think they were available yet :shrug
price? fit? what year d60 do you have? thanks

and zack, i would do the 35 spline outers first, IMHO :beer

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
id go with the doubler first, then when you break one of the stub shafts replace it, no reason to fix it if it aint broke

wes

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
cehck 4wdfactory.com. Greg is a nice guy and will take care of what you need. I have an 88 kingpin.\
There is also a big thread over on PBB about the yukon shafts with differing opinions. They seem like good outers

·
Registered
262 Posts
From the post here it seems that running a double on anything less that D60s/10.25/14 B is going to break shafts for sure. So it would not be recommended to run a doubler with a 9" and D44 then?

I was thinking that a doubler would be a nice way to get deep gears for wheeling while still keeping a nice highway RPM. Something like 4.10 and then use the doubler.

Am I totally off base on this?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tim330i said:
From the post here it seems that running a double on anything less that D60s/10.25/14 B is going to break shafts for sure. So it would not be recommended to run a doubler with a 9" and D44 then?
Am I totally off base on this?
You've pretty much got it right. If you're in a situation where you think you need the double low gears, you're almost guaranteed to snap axles with the 1/2ton stuff, than you would the 1ton stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts