Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to do the oil pan deal and was trying to get a feel out the odds of breaking the studs on the exhaust flanges. i'll pick up the stud kit from nappa, but how would one go about removing the broken ones? i'm gonna start hitting them with kroil every night until i do the install in a week or two.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
they'll probably break.

the way i'd do it is get an acetylene torch(if you have one or if you can borrow one) and start heating up the manifold where the studs go in, but NOT the nuts.

When it gets good and red, thread the entire stud out nut and all and just replace them as you go back together.

It's easier to get them out whole with a nut on the end than it is to get them out once they've snapped flush with the manifold.

Justin

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
On my 93 I cut mine off with a grinder just below the nut and put an impact socket (6 pt) on them with a breaker bar before I went to air power. On my 96 I had to take the manifolds off to get them off. You couldnt see threads at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I managed to get 3 out of 4 out, but the last one I broke off. I drilled it and re-tapped the hole, from below. It sucked, but it worked.

Note that breaking the lower part of the stud off, the part that goes through the y-pipe, is no big deal. Breaking off the "nut" part of the stud, that's actually in the middle of the stud itself, that's what you don't want to do.

Get a 7/16-14 tap while you're out, and use a LOT of P'Blaster. I used an entire can over the course of a week, spraying the top side of the flanges (where the backs of the studs come through) every day at least.

When you're putting it back together, run the tap through every threaded hole to clean it up, and use copper hi-temp anti-sieze on every thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts