Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this thing for a few years and have been slowly bringing it back from the brink of death.

It's s 94' 5.0 with at least 160,000 miles.

I say at least because it's had 32's since long before I bought it with stock gears and no change to the speedo gear.

I'm planning on heading up to the mountains once or twice this winter and want to make sure I'm covered. Aside from one trip to the desert, this truck hasn't been further than 100 miles from downtown San Diego in 3 years. During that one trip to the desert I had to climb over some 5,000 foot mountains, boiled the E40D and ended up needing to replace the gasket on the transmission pan.

Before the end of the year, I'm planning on upgrading to 33s and consequently 4.56 gears. I'm hoping that the net effect of this will be that it's easier to climb 5,000 ft+ mountains.

Anything else basic that I can do to prepare for the thin, freezing air in the mountains?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm planning on taking mine to the snow at least once a month during the season as well.
If you're just planning on heading to Bear Mountain...for the most part you should be good. The temps there aren't that bad and the road conditions don't get crazy.
Just make sure the fluids are fresh and cary some extra bottles with you. And check your 4x4 system before you head out to make sure it's working.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The beauty of having an EFI truck is that the PCM will adjust fuel ratio and timing for altitude changes automatically.

You may want to consider that you may want to bring a tow strap, and make sure that you have secure tow points, both front and rear.

You may also want to carry a winter safety driving kit that includes extra clothing, and blankets... just in case.
Here is a thread that I found interesting.
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...tive-chat/4305-winter-driving-safety-kit.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts