Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nooby here, i'm probly repeating an old question, but i'll try to make this short. here's the deal. i got 2 broncos-#1. 83 300-6/t18/208. 6in superrunner. did have 35's that were stolen. gonna drop it to the 4in holes and get 33's. everythings fine but the 6in superlift coils are just too stiff. bronco #2. 92 5.0/e4od/bw. still stock but shorty headers and new 33's 10x15's. i have on the shelf waiting to go on the '92 is motorsport t51 maf kit new in the box (when i figure out the e4od thing), new 4:56's in the box, and a new 4in rancho susp complete still in the box. i deleted the coils cause i'm guessing they'll be stiff like the others i've tried. i plan on putting the 92 together this spring when i get my tax cheque. so here's my simple thing: i need 2 sets of 4in coils that are INDEED soft. i don't go over 60 mph, do light offroading and lots of town/city time. in other words i'm slow. any ideas?? (sorry my computer is slow and i don't the time to scour the history right now) i'll post some pics when i get the fotm. thanx a $mil

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a rancho lift on my 89 and I actually think the front coils are to soft. Granted I bought the lift used but I still think they are really soft. YOu might want to try the rancho springs. YOu may be suprised.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Why are you converting to MAF on the 92?

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I have a rancho lift on my 89 and I actually think the front coils are to soft. Granted I bought the lift used but I still think they are really soft. YOu might want to try the rancho springs. YOu may be suprised.
That's unusual. Eveyone else I've spoken to about Rancho says that their springs are extremely stiff.

·
Registered
242 Posts
my rancho coils seem realy stiff and there pretty old

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
go skyjacker coils... Ive heard nothing but good things....

·
Registered
904 Posts
hate to break it to you but as far as i know you are kindve SOL as far as from the factory TTB coils go. All of them are on the stiff side.

If you want soft then here is what i would do: Ask the prerunner guys (broncospeed forum), they are the TTB experts of this forum and if there is a coil out there that will suit your needs they will know about it.

Otherwise, you are going to have to modify. You could try to modify some 78-79 super flex coils on there. the current ones are soft, and if you want REALLY soft then you can track down an older set. Another option would be coil overs...

if you are looking for flex though, as in what scores points on an RTI ramp or keeps all four corners on the ground, everyone whos anyone is probably giong to tell you to do an SAS.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx guys, i was looking at the bds site where they show a 4"ttb kit and looked closely at the coils and they look pretty light-wounded. i think i read somewhere that someone who's running'm said they where soft. anyone experience w/those?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
thanx guys, i was looking at the bds site where they show a 4"ttb kit and looked closely at the coils and they look pretty light-wounded. i think i read somewhere that someone who's running'm said they where soft. anyone experience w/those?
:doh0715:

You can't just look at a coil and tell whether or not they're going to be soft.

They do have spring ratings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i can, just not to any acuraccy. when they're thick you know it's gonna be a heavy rating. i looked at a set of 4" pro comp coils at 4whl pts, and they're exactly the same as my old superlifters. seems to me they make'm stiff so they handle good to avoid rollover lawsuits. i don't need mega-long travel i don't wheel hard much no more, just somethin soft for the street and our local bouncy roads. somewhere i read that using coils for the 79's and modifying'm slightly works good cause the staight axle coils are naturally lighter due to not-as-much leverage on the straight axle that the ttb's create. but they have to be 2" (longer or shorter i forget) eg:-my 4"ttb truck i would use 6" 79 coils, modify'm to mount and the length works out roughly the same as 4" on the ttb. i wish i could find where i read that, that's what i'm trying to pinpoint. thanks for the responses guys

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
No, no you can't. :doh0715:

Why bother buying the 6" deavers designed for the 70's style coil buckets? Just buy a 4" deaver designed for the TTB buckets.

Also, you can't just modify them like you're talking about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just swapped out my Rancho 3's for Skyjacker 4's. I noticed straight away that the Skyjackers had a much softer ride... I should have done this years ago as those Rancho springs would friggen jar my fillings loose. Gonna miss watching my girlfriend bounce over speed bumps through...:popc1:

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Have Deaver wind up a set to your specs. http://www.deaverspring.com/

Stock rate is about 360#. I'm running 395# springs and they're too stiff for what I want.

All of the "production" springs are 395+.
I'd bet they would direct you to a set of their coils that they sell through bronco graveyard... They're probably in the 300lb area, or maybe a little less.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Not if he wants 4"...the coils they produce for JBG are for 5.5" lift.
Gotcha, nm then... For some reason I had it in my head that they also offered a soft 4" spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes i called jeff's a couple times and they only have the 5.5ers. he didn't know much 411 on 4"coils. i kinda thought of skyjackers or any of the big name coils, but the guy at the local 4wp (thankfully a good dude) must be getting tired of me ordering coils and when they come in he brings'm out to the floor and they're the same as my old superlifts except their length and i have'm send them back. i don't want to keep torturing him with guesswork like that. be nice if a place had ALL 4" coils in stock and we could compare them but such is life. i think it was this site or somewhere that someone made a list of coil rates from the big manufacturers. but i know from experience that sometimes the same name (ahem..superlift) can have 2 of the same kits side-by-side and have completely different leaf and/or coil springs, as if they where made at a different time and specs changed w/o notice. but i'll keep digging, thanx a mil guys

1 - 20 of 20 Posts