Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought mine from Bronco Graveyard, 4 point family cage. Expect a 6-8 week delay to get one though, not an in-stock item. It's nice but takes a long time.
You have to have whomever installs it put brackets in for the shoulder harness so they will work properly.
He just finished mine so I haven't checked the fit yet to make sure he got it right but I know I can bring it back and he will adjust if needed. Will post up some pics next week, going out of town for the rest of the week...

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
so... while you guys are at it, what's the best slant soft-top?
for some reason, I have never really liked the look of the full topper soft-tops. :shrug
I want this : Let me know if anyone recognizes the manufacturer? Photo is from a seller's Ebay ad a while ago.
Looks like here is the new website.

http://www.aro2000.com/bronco_camper.htm

I bought one of these from the original site back in 2006. Used it on my 83 for a couple years and it's been in storage up until a couple of weeks ago, when I installed it on my 86. I have the stayfast cloth version, and although I had to replace a few snaps ($6 kit from Amazon), the quality of the material and stitching is great. No leaks, and we've had some serious downpours here lately. I can post up some pics if you would like.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,528 Posts
Would love to see some pics Slo... and while you're at it, did you use the Rail Kit too or did you go with the body mounted snaps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Builder, Just Went To The Graveyard Yesterday, They Have A "FastBack" Cooking Soon.
My Question For The Softopper Fans Is Fading? How Does It Hold Up Over The Test Of Time? Best Place To Buy From Softopper.Com? Kinda Liked The One At The Graveyard, But No One Here Seems To Be A Fan...

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,076 Posts
One more ?, I've got a rollbar, shouldn't be an issue right??? The hard top fits with no issues...
plenty of guys with roll bars and these soft tops. haven't heard of any issues.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Would love to see some pics Slo... and while you're at it, did you use the Rail Kit too or did you go with the body mounted snaps?
Sorry for the delay, but here's a few pics I was able to snap yesterday.

I took this pic from the interior, to show headroom. I think the website's claim that an adult can sit comfortably in the back is bogus. The geometry of the rail system may raise the top a lil, but I don't think it's by much.

This pic is showing the underside of one of the corners, with a dime used for reference - but with the glare you can't really tell it's a dime.

I do not have the rail kit, but body mount type only has snaps on the tailgate. The other fasteners are as seen in this close-up pic.

Let me know if there's anything specific you would like to see, close-up.

·
36,528 Posts
I still want one like Wileec has. It matches the same design I made back when I first got into the Bronco scene.

could be done easily with a modified boat top frame rail... or, preferably, with a cage. :thumbup

·
36,528 Posts
never had mine made... but I think Wileec did.

·
drop the gloves
47 Posts
How do you get around the fact that the Hightopper lacks the factory high mounted rear taillight? I just got a ticket for stopping too far back from a stop sign then proceeding through! The judge said you have to pull to the line then stop. I was about 7 feet back when I stopped. Here's my $480 Judge! Not to mention my wasted time. Kinda gun-shy at this point. I'm not concerned about the lack of seatbelts in the back seat because no one can see that from the outside. But the lack of the high mounted tail light is pretty obvious. Has anyone had a problem with soft tops? Is there a fix or law that allows for no high mounted light when it's a soft top?

·
Registered
402 Posts
^^ my understanding (my opinion, so check your own local laws) is a third rear brake light is required if it was standard factory equipment when the vehicle was originally built, irrelevant of roof type. As example, 50s sports cars didnt have, or today, need seat belts. Also, if a vehicle was factory equipped, I don’t think a rear third brake light needs to be “high” mounted, it just needs to be present and working.

I’d suggest an aftermarket light, the Jeep crowd have plenty of choices such as this one

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12066_906.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5nezJ-54wIVisDACh3ZygE1EAQYByABEgISEvD_BwE

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm just going to +1 for SofTopper. It's expensive yes, but very much worth the money. I bought the black with black tinted windows version. Just makes the truck look like it's ready for safari or something. It's been through quite a few very heavy downpours recently and no leaks so far (knock on wood). I really dig that you can use it in a couple different variations. My go to is the bikini top config where the side and back windows are rolled up with the top still on.

The directions were a little hard to follow at some points, but we were able to get through it. A couple points to note, the adhesive foam you have to stick to the back of the cab needs to be a little higher than you'd think for the metal flange to seat properly. If not it's a huge PIA. Another is the female side of the snaps are adjustable if they dont immediately line up. Doing it on a warm day is also a plus as it helps everything stretch a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm just going to +1 for SofTopper. It's expensive yes, but very much worth the money. I bought the black with black tinted windows version. Just makes the truck look like it's ready for safari or something. It's been through quite a few very heavy downpours recently and no leaks so far (knock on wood). I really dig that you can use it in a couple different variations. My go to is the bikini top config where the side and back windows are rolled up with the top still on.

The directions were a little hard to follow at some points, but we were able to get through it. A couple points to note, the adhesive foam you have to stick to the back of the cab needs to be a little higher than you'd think for the metal flange to seat properly. If not it's a huge PIA. Another is the female side of the snaps are adjustable if they dont immediately line up. Doing it on a warm day is also a plus as it helps everything stretch a bit more.
They look real good but hard for me to justify spending 1k on one when I bought my 78 for 2k lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
My softopper just went through about 3 inches of rain in 30 minutes on Friday...not one drop of rain leaked through!

I still had to pull over under a bridge though as the top was down and my interior is gutted except for all of my electronics exposed to the world...almost a very BAD day...lol

BTW if you are going softopper and have people that want to ride in the back...you may want to consider roll bars as well...just throw another $1500 onto the pile as well.
Is a roll cage necessary for the soft top? Can you have a legal soft topper without rollbars?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts