Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i really want to take off my top, however, i live in kansas where it rains and i dont want my interior/speakers to die so i need a soft top. I had two questions...on the snap tonneau cover style, will it all be sealed up when i put the hard top back on for the winter? Also, if i buy the full soft top, when the soft top is back on, is it all sealed up again? because you have to drill into the roof (for some reason...i read it in the write up) so i was wondering if its all sealed up wiht the hard top on and whats the best style do you guys think and also wheres the best place to buy them?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
front page. cause i need help

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
im not really sure about this one.
but lots of people have softtops and put the hardtop on in the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered a soft top (tonneau type) and it uses velcro all around to seal....I think that is better than the snap type(4wheelcustoms.com). Also, you can buy and install marine speakers if you are worried about moisture in the cabin.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you get the full top, snap style, which is what I have, You have to drill a number of holes in the bed rails, tailgate, and top to attach the aluminum strips that the top snaps to. There is a method of mounting the rear curtain strip on the tailgate so you don't have to drill holes into it. Using that method, with the hardtop on, all the holes will be covered. If you use the fast track style, it bolts the channels to existing holes, so there is no holes to drill. Me personally, I leave my top on year round, but we get very little if any snow. It would be just to big of a pain to unscrew all the rails and stuff every winter, not to mention with sheet metal screws, they can only go in and out so much before they start stripping. In your case, I would go with the fast track style, its probably the easiest to put on and off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also live in kansas and have the same worries as you, but i think its pointless to drill holes all over your car to install a soft top when youre just going to put the hard top back on in the winter. I still want a soft top, and the safest bet would probably be the velcro sealed type. By the way twrenn, where did you order that from?

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
ok, i run a STC soft top in the summer, and hard top in the winter, the only leaks i have experienced were due to the seals on the hard top going bad. soft top never leaks, and the hole drilled into the body i fill with silicone befor putting the top back on just as an extra saftey precaution. i'd go with whatever style you like better.

on a side note, i have replaced a ton of snaps on the top itself, not hard, but have had to do it, but that might be my fault for not always loosening all the tension beofr putting it down.

btw if you get the full top, get the tinted windows, they look 1000 times better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts