Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
What kind of snaps are they? On my Zuk, I don't have the style in that article, but the kind where the "nipple" is mounted on the body panel, and those go into a hole on the top. They hold ok in the first position without hearing a snap, but if you push harder you do hear a snap and they seat down further. This usually happens when it's less than 60* outside, the top shrinks, and it makes it harder to stretch the top into the proper place for the snaps to line up, so they try to seat at a bit of an angle thus binding, so I have to really push hard to get to the 2nd position. Anyway, try pushing down harder.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What kind of snaps are they? On my Zuk, I don't have the style in that article, but the kind where the "nipple" is mounted on the body panel, and those go into a hole on the top. They hold ok in the first position without hearing a snap, but if you push harder you do hear a snap and they seat down further. This usually happens when it's less than 60* outside, the top shrinks, and it makes it harder to stretch the top into the proper place for the snaps to line up, so they try to seat at a bit of an angle thus binding, so I have to really push hard to get to the 2nd position. Anyway, try pushing down harder.

i bought them from Lowes, but they are Stanley snap fasteners...the link is below...i'm not sure that they have a stage 1 and 2 snap, but i'll give it a shot...as for the shrinking, what kind of top do you have, are you using the canvas top like in the write up, or do you have a store bought top?...i found about the shrinking of the canvas the hard way...i lined up all the snaps, went through the whole process of installing the female snaps on the canvas and attached it to the truck...after a rain storm sunday afternoon, i looked at the top yesterday and apparently it shrunk by an inch all around...most of the snaps had popped off, or the material had pulled so much, a hole was started from the stretching...sucks...i had to buy more snaps, and re-do the whole thing...looks like crap now....

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...UMBER=FS38K&SDesc=Screw+and+Snap+Fastener+Kit

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
That's rough man, not sure how you can get around that. The top on my Suzuki is vinyl though, are you using a true canvas? The snaps up forward are easy, but working my way back it gets consistently harder/tighter because the shrinking effect keeps adding up. If it's below 60* I can't get the snaps down on the tailgate at all, or sometimes only 1. The top I have is made by Bestop. Here's a picture of the 2 types of snaps I have. The one on the far left is the 2 stage kind that I was talking about. Maybe when you redo the top, size it for a 60* day, its a good average, so it won't be too loose when it gets hot or too tight when its cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts