Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Got tired of not being able to see out of the windows, so I ordered a replacement top a couple of weeks ago..went from this..

to this..

this one has the provision for the spare tire carrier on the rear panel..

Replacement top cost $495, plus the ride..for some reason they send a new cover with the top..it's to protect it when the top is put all the way down..I've never used mine..plan to keep the 2nd top for off roading purposes..

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
looks great, this will be the topper I get for my 92 as well after seeing how well it has done for you, foggy windows and all. I like that you can just get the topper canvas part too.

Are you treating the new one with anything to keep it nice?

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
You know, I'm not exactly sure what the top is made of, my understanding it that it's a marine grade fabric with UV protection, so they don't really recommend treating it with anything. There is a special vinyl window polish that I used before the windows got trashed, but nothing on the top itself..

I usually have to clean it every couple of months with a diluted solution of bleach and water, but that's only when it starts to get mildew streaks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Man I want a soft top so bad!! I'm about to get my hard top down and put it back on for the first time since spring.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was hoping to get one of these nice looking tops in the spring. When did Softopper start putting all those badges on their tops? They make it look like ASS. I'd be ok with maybe one on the back panel but three is total overkill. I wonder if Softopper would sell the tops without them?

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I was hoping to get one of these nice looking tops in the spring. When did Softopper start putting all those badges on their tops? They make it look like ASS. I'd be ok with maybe one on the back panel but three is total overkill. I wonder if Softopper would sell the tops without them?
Yeah, the labels on the top are kind of annoying..I removed them from my old top..will probably take these off too..

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have 3 questions.

1. I don't have a garage to store it. Would putting a tarp over it when it sits help with protection?
2. Does anyone have a cage with the soft top? I'm getting the 4 point cage and was wondering if they both will work together without any issues.
3. How long does it take to install?

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I have 3 questions.

1. I don't have a garage to store it. Would putting a tarp over it when it sits help with protection?

of course a tarp would help protect it, but it's meant to be outside..

2. Does anyone have a cage with the soft top? I'm getting the 4 point cage and was wondering if they both will work together without any issues.

Plenty of people are running them with cages. no problems at all..

3. How long does it take to install?[/QUOTE]

start to finish with the hardware? maybe an hour or two and that is taking your time..once everything is installed I can have it completely undone and folded down in a couple of minutes, but I rarely if ever fold it down..most of the time I just roll the side of it up and use it like a bikin top.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Good to see that they sell replacement skins, I've always had the idea that when mine wore out I'd take it to a marine shop and have them use it as a template to make me another one with zip out and screened windows.
Thought about that, but the guy at the boat top shop would have wanted as much $$..

softopper had the top ready and shipped the next day. can't beat that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the info. in this thread. Considering cost, the differences between this Softtopper and the current (as of 6/1/16) upgraded top that JBG sells now, I think I'm going to go with the one from Jeff's: Soft Tops-Broncograveyard.com I also like the fact that they've been upgraded to better material fairly recently AND you can get a complete fabric replacement kit for $349. I have owned a 1992 Jeep Wrangler for 24 years and am only on my 3rd top, so I know how to take care of them. All things considered, I can't justify $900 for the Softtopper, in addition to the quality I've seen and not being a fan of snaps. Gonna order from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard this week.

Thanks for all the info. everyone!

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,246 Posts
It's definitely a cost-effective option for anyone with a non-dentside FSB.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Thanks for the info. in this thread. Considering cost, the differences between this Softtopper and the current (as of 6/1/16) upgraded top that JBG sells now, I think I'm going to go with the one from Jeff's: Soft Tops-Broncograveyard.com I also like the fact that they've been upgraded to better material fairly recently AND you can get a complete fabric replacement kit for $349. I have owned a 1992 Jeep Wrangler for 24 years and am only on my 3rd top, so I know how to take care of them. All things considered, I can't justify $900 for the Softtopper, in addition to the quality I've seen and not being a fan of snaps. Gonna order from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard this week.

Thanks for all the info. everyone!

Post up here once you get it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
interesting to see the development of Softopper as a company and product over the years... thanks jermil01
looks like I'll be ordering one as soon as this weather figures itself out, was almost 80 on monday and now supposed to snow tomorrow...

anyone had any issues with snow/ice weight and collapse on a soft top? I read through the softopper install manual and they heavily emphasize the fact these are not ideal for cold weather. I'd love to ditch my factory top altogether but occasionally the mid atlantic gets a few inches of snow.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
interesting to see the development of Softopper as a company and product over the years... thanks jermil01
looks like I'll be ordering one as soon as this weather figures itself out, was almost 80 on monday and now supposed to snow tomorrow...

anyone had any issues with snow/ice weight and collapse on a soft top? I read through the softopper install manual and they heavily emphasize the fact these are not ideal for cold weather. I'd love to ditch my factory top altogether but occasionally the mid atlantic gets a few inches of snow.
I don't have this top, but I've had the old Kayline type top on for about a dozen years now, but it's always garage kept. I'd say it's very true that you would not want more than a couple inches accumulating on the top, it will start to stretch it out which could ruin the top.

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
With my rig being outside year round, I live with the fact that the topper for me is a wear item like tires. I'd imagine it could handle a decent amount of snow before it became and issue, but the thing you have to be careful about with the extreme cold is that the windows can get brittle.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts