Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,878 Posts
For what its worth I have the cheaper not near as nice JBG top on my 78 and it stays outside year round, snow or not. It has held up fine.
I would imagine with a little care the softopper one would do just fine too. I do think you would shorten the life of it a bit but not by much. Like they said just make sure to try and keep the snow off of it when possible and don't let 6" or so get on it at the same time. Mine has had 3" on it before with no issue.

Reactions: tylerwdavis

·
Registered
251 Posts
Top is here from JBG, I ordered black. Haven't opened the box yet, but hope to install soon. I'll keep y'all posted.
FYI, an update on this... Just opened the top and spread out in my basement to flatten out a little. As soon as the heavy pine pollen stops around here, I'll FINALLY get this thing installed on the Bronco and report back.

If it matters, a friend of mine has had his installed for quite some time and loves it, hasn't had any issues.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,244 Posts
pretty much any of them, depending on your location and climate. All can-backs look the same to me though.
I wouldn't run one in the winter up here... but I get enough snow to collapse a hard topper, so. :shrug

If you search around the site... there have been many types, styles and ideas tossed around over the years.
Some better for this or that. One of my fav's was the bikini top, combined with a tonneau type cover over the rear.

When manufactured won't cut it... DIY baby! :rockon

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
I am looking at getting a softopper. might order one this week. I am wondering if how bent up my truck is will affect the install. the factory topper fits on it alright, but it has to be put on just in the right way in order to work properly. given it's a cloth top I'm not too worried about it being flexible. any input on this? Jermil, that's great that they worked with you to have your old one repaired. sounds like they are some stand up folks. I am curious about the cut-out for the tire carrier... does anyone have a photo of the area around where the carrier and top meet? Triplesix's rear bumper deleted the carrier but it still has the holes where one would go.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I am looking at getting a softopper. might order one this week. I am wondering if how bent up my truck is will affect the install. the factory topper fits on it alright, but it has to be put on just in the right way in order to work properly. given it's a cloth top I'm not too worried about it being flexible. any input on this? Jermil, that's great that they worked with you to have your old one repaired. sounds like they are some stand up folks. I am curious about the cut-out for the tire carrier... does anyone have a photo of the area around where the carrier and top meet? Triplesix's rear bumper deleted the carrier but it still has the holes where one would go.
The softop will be much more forgiving to install than the hard top..so if you can get the hard top on you won't have any issues.

They are stand up folks, but there are still some areas where the top could use some reinforcement with the stitching, particularly around the rearmost corners where the greatest amount of stress is put on the top when it's snapped in place..

If you click on the close up of this photo you can just see where where the cut out for the tire carrier is.

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
The softop will be much more forgiving to install than the hard top..so if you can get the hard top on you won't have any issues.

They are stand up folks, but there are still some areas where the top could use some reinforcement with the stitching, particularly around the rearmost corners where the greatest amount of stress is put on the top when it's snapped in place..

If you click on the close up of this photo you can just see where where the cut out for the tire carrier is.

Thanks Jermil! what can you do, if there was a perfect top we would all have the same one. it looks to me like I need the cutout since my rear bumper has a tie-in there despite not having hinges. I'll dig up an image in a minute.

EDIT:
Apparently photobucket's phone app is a total piece of flaming garbage, and I can't upload my photos from the phone to the cloud without letting them access all my photos. AWESOME. either way, looks like I have the info I need.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
yeah if your bumper has the tie in I'd say it makes sense to get the one with the cut out..Can't remember if there was an extra charge for it or not. I'm sure it says on the site.

Reactions: Happster

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the JBG/Rampage soft top installed and will have an updated set of installations notes, experiences and upgraded/replacement parts & things I chose to do when getting this all set up. I took my time with the install over the course of a week in the garage and feel that I have a very solid final product. More to come... in the meantime, here's a pic from yesterday.

FYI, an update on this... Just opened the top and spread out in my basement to flatten out a little. As soon as the heavy pine pollen stops around here, I'll FINALLY get this thing installed on the Bronco and report back.

If it matters, a friend of mine has had his installed for quite some time and loves it, hasn't had any issues.

Attachments

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
It's in fair shape..keep in mind my rig is exposed to the Florida sun 365 days a year so the top takes a beating from the UV. Also, I haven't been as diligent as I should have been with putting the 3M UV protectant on..I'll probably buy a new top towards the end of this year once I get around to doing some needed body work..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Long term update, current top is coming up on 5 years and like I mentioned in my last post I hadn't been good about caring for it...This was an expensive lesson..In addition to not applying the 3M protector or the window vinyl window polish/protector, I mistakenly cleaned it (on several occasions) with an outdoor cleaner/bleach type solution. BIG MISTAKE. The solution did a great job getting rid of the mold on the top but it also compromised the fabric..Take a look at the pics below, you can see where there are what look like burn marks, I'm assuming from the cleaning product I used..That's my PSA for today..

Reactions: Joecruiser

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
353 Posts
@jermil01 That’s a shame but I’d let it ride. It’ll last a few more years as is. I love the soft tops, especially for us Sunshine staters.

Do the tops bring the bows or are they separate. You can also get a quote from a marine shop and get it recovered using Sunbrella material like Bimini and T tops.

Bestop’s Jeep tops are not Sunbrella. They’re more “rubbery”. I’m sure your material is the same. Perhaps a standard in auto and marine is different. Check out this Jeep Scrambler. Dude lives on a big sailboat in the marina. Custom aluminum T-Top structure...rigid and Rick solid. Sunbrella material on top. Yes, you’ll get wet and it’s fixed...but you can get Safari side roll up panels like old Landcruisers.
***never mind the ugly dude...it’s the only pic I have.
4439B35B-AB53-4E1C-A285-ED0DD3E8DED0.jpeg
A562C5CA-4B12-4351-803E-BFA30B1E8E53.jpeg
ADB7F5BE-F93B-4481-8E20-9130B41B40EF.jpeg

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
@jermil01 That’s a shame but I’d let it ride. It’ll last a few more years as is. I love the soft tops, especially for us Sunshine staters.

Do the tops bring the bows or are they separate. You can also get a quote from a marine shop and get it recovered using Sunbrella material like Bimini and T tops.

Bestop’s Jeep tops are not Sunbrella. They’re more “rubbery”. I’m sure your material is the same. Perhaps a standard in auto and marine is different. Check out this Jeep Scrambler. Dude lives on a big sailboat in the marina. Custom aluminum T-Top structure...rigid and Rick solid. Sunbrella material on top. Yes, you’ll get wet and it’s fixed...but you can get Safari side roll up panels like old Landcruisers.
***never mind the ugly dude...it’s the only pic I have.

I'd let it ride, but it looks like s**t..especially the windows, because they're almost totally hazed up..I can barely see out of the back..The material is some sort of military grade marine fabric that is a bit rubbery as you described..

While the safari tops are cool I wouldn't want to have the inside of my rig drenched during some of these storms we get..It's one thing to get wet every now and then but I'd rather be able to keep it dry.. I can buy a new canopy without the hardware for about $500..To me that's a reasonable price for what you get..

Reactions: Joecruiser

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
107 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Ive always wanted one of these. jermil would you say the quality has gotten better over the years on the replacements you get?

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
@jermil01

could i trouble you for some more details on what 3M protector you are supposed to use? I've been thinking about that a bit for mine. i keep mine on year round and it's usually outside instead of the garage. it would probably benefit from some sort of treatment.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
353 Posts
@dash_cam I’ve used this on a Bestop Jeep top. It’s pricey but works. Then I gave up and got a bikini 👙 For the cost of 4 of those lil bottles I went topless.

And YES, there’s been huge improvements in materials. I’m not into the latest automotive soft tops but am in the marine world:
B304A33A-C0E6-40B6-BBAA-81508171588C.jpeg

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
This is an interesting thread. Ive always wanted one of these. jermil would you say the quality has gotten better over the years on the replacements you get?
@jermil01

Haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the tops over the years. Same fabric and stitching from what I can tell..not much they could do to improve..the problems I had were all related to my care of the top.

could i trouble you for some more details on what 3M protector you are supposed to use? I've been thinking about that a bit for mine. i keep mine on year round and it's usually outside instead of the garage. it would probably benefit from some sort of treatment.
This is what I'm using now and should have been using,..

This is also good, but more $$

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
@dash_cam I’ve used this on a Bestop Jeep top. It’s pricey but works. Then I gave up and got a bikini 👙 For the cost of 4 of those lil bottles I went topless.

And YES, there’s been huge improvements in materials. I’m not into the latest automotive soft tops but am in the marine world: View attachment 159584
That stuff is meant for the twill jeep top fabric which isn't the same as the Softopper. Softopper is made of a woven fabric with a UV stabilized PVC coating..They say it's the same type of fabric used on the convertible tops for major automotive manufacturers.

\

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
well...i had a few minutes free between work meetings so i called softopper. the lady on the phone said she had a cheat sheet with info on caring for the soft top.

the first thing she said was that best top makes a protectant and that it's great. she also recommended wolfstein's ragtop cleaner.

you could also do a touchless car wash but avoid any waxes.

i asked if they had listed any marine related cleaners considering the materials in the soft top. she said while it is double ply sail cloth, it is vinyl coated. so anything you get should be for treating the vinyl coating and not the cloth.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts