Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
search, you #$%@! noob
Joined
·
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been lookin for a good soft top for my 96 fsb. i previously had a jeep (yeah, we all make mistakes, what can i say?) and there must have been 10 different tops out there - without tapping snaps into the body, no less. has anyone seen anything like that "can-back" top they make out there for other fords? it looks sweet, especially with a wildnerness rack on it. but noooo, they don't make one for the bronco. i've written to them a few times, and they keep sayin, "yeah, another 6 months or so and we might have something." but kinda feeling like it will never happen. i'm just kinda amazed at the lack of a nice top out there.:banghead
 

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the site, Now get up to the intro's section and check in......


And yes there are very few tops around for the Bronco....If you runa search on here you'll probably find links to a few of them. although I think they almost all require new holes.....


Again welcome Home and dont forget to vote for the FOTM--Fog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
how bout a tarp no drilling there. you only need the top on rainy days anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
:stupid

My tarp and bungee cords have worked like a charm for the last few months. Although I do not drive the Bronco when it is raining or it might rain. Makes me glad it is not my daily driver :thumbup
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
miseroth said:
:stupid

My tarp and bungee cords have worked like a charm for the last few months. Although I do not drive the Bronco when it is raining or it might rain. Makes me glad it is not my daily driver :thumbup


same here during the summer ... now my doors and top are on :( .. no tailgate though
 

·
hates EVERYTHING!
Joined
·
11,456 Posts
I gotta better idea, instead of straping on a tarp....try clicking on the search button!

I hate sounding like a dick, but jezz, whats with all the multiple questions here latley??? Used to people would ask questions we covered a month or two back and we'd say search....now people are asking questions that have been asked (sometimes more than once) already and it's still listed in the topics right there on the same page they post from. It almost feels like somebody's logging in as a noob just to phuck with us....:twak

Sorry jackhart, this just happened to come out on your post, didn't mean to rant and it wasn't pointed at you, theres just been alot of questions asked lately that a person could get quicker doing a search than it took to write the post....:banghead
As for your question, alot of us feel your frustrations on the top issue...theres just not many suppliers out there....Try this site:
Click here! :beer
 

·
search, you #$%@! noob
Joined
·
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blaze - I may be a newbie here, but I assure you, I have searched and searched and am not "phucking" with anyone. I arrived here only out of complete frustration and because I figured why reinvent the wheel if someone has more knowledge than me about it. It pisses me off that such a nice truck has so few options when it comes to the soft top issue. I am not going to put a "tarp" over my Bronco and look like a "phucking retard." I take pride in how my Bronco looks, and performs. I don't see why that is too much to ask.

As far as your link goes, I have been there already (I told you I searched) and if you read my original post, you'll see that is EXACTLY the top I wanted (the Can-Back) but they don't make it for the Bronco.

Boo yah.

Have a nice day.:beer
 

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
There's been alot of talk on here latley about custom tops. I think it was either smooth or blown that has one. From what I've seen it's about the only way to go if you don't want all the extra body holes....But then again, most of the folks with the standard soft tops are'nt complaining about the extra holes. I remember one fellow saying he just slapped some sillycone on them when he installed them and theres been no problem...... Might check their superford links and see which one it was and if thats a type you could live with....I really think a good upolstery shop could make just about anything you wanted. Might even be cheaper....Hope this helps....Fog







P.s.-- Blaze did say it was'nt directed at you....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
jackhart said:
Blaze - I may be a newbie here, but I assure you, I have searched and searched and am not "phucking" with anyone. I arrived here only out of complete frustration and because I figured why reinvent the wheel if someone has more knowledge than me about it. It pisses me off that such a nice truck has so few options when it comes to the soft top issue. I am not going to put a "tarp" over my Bronco and look like a "phucking retard." I take pride in how my Bronco looks, and performs. I don't see why that is too much to ask.

As far as your link goes, I have been there already (I told you I searched) and if you read my original post, you'll see that is EXACTLY the top I wanted (the Can-Back) but they don't make it for the Bronco.

Boo yah.

Have a nice day.:beer
I beleive he meant to search this site...not the web. All manufactures that make or have made a soft top have been discussed...as well as custom soft tops. :twak
 

·
Living in Obscurity
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
Foghorn said:
There's been alot of talk on here latley about custom tops. I think it was either smooth or blown that has one.
Yaaaaaah, I'll have a custom soft top, as soon as Pepe goes through the trouble of having his made then giving it to me, then I will have one!






P.s.-- Blaze did say it was'nt directed at you....
I beleive he meant to search this site...not the web. All manufactures that make or have made a soft top have been discussed...as well as custom soft tops.

:stupid :stupid :stupid :stupid :stupid :stupid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Bronco Soft Top

Hey, I have a 92 Full Size Bronco and have a fitted soft top. They are now back in production and you can get them at www.jeffsbroncograveyard.com

No holes to drill. The bolts go in the same holes of the bolts that held your hard top on.

I will warn you, at speeds over 50 mph, the velcro that holds the top onto the harness will come off. It's very loud and I have to actually tie rope from one wheel well to the other to keep it from coming loose. If you crack your window when you drive, it helps balance out the air pressure and is much better. If you roll your windows up, you will have problems.

email with any questions.
[email protected]

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Re: Bronco Soft Top

tommyb88 said:
Hey, I have a 92 Full Size Bronco and have a fitted soft top. They are now back in production and you can get them at www.jeffsbroncograveyard.com

No holes to drill. The bolts go in the same holes of the bolts that held your hard top on.

I will warn you, at speeds over 50 mph, the velcro that holds the top onto the harness will come off. It's very loud and I have to actually tie rope from one wheel well to the other to keep it from coming loose. If you crack your window when you drive, it helps balance out the air pressure and is much better. If you roll your windows up, you will have problems.

email with any questions.
[email protected]

Tom
All the ones I see on JBG say that drilling IS necessary...which one do they sell that doesn't. The only one I know of is Skyler, which is Out of Buisiness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Skyler isnt out of business, they are up for sale and currently out of operation. They could start back up anytime.

Arent there some particulars with taking the top off a 96?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I have a Skyler, but as I said, it's held on my velcro and above 50 mph, it's worthless. I need to tie it down. It looks good, but is not real functional. If you do get one that needs drilling, find out how the top connects.

Yes, I removed my 3rd brake light and back seat is now out of it (i.e., no seatbelts). Good luck.

Tom
 

·
search, you #$%@! noob
Joined
·
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the suggestions

yeah, i checked JBG too, and didn't see anything that you didn't have to drill. maybe if everyone here complained to Can-back -boy that is one sweet top - then they would start making them for our Broncos.

I checked with 2 local canvas shops and they said they could probably come up with something, but were too busy at the time with boat headaches and to come back in the winter. Plus they said it would be a grand or more. ouch.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts here and suggestions. I think maybe we should all think about going in the soft top business...just how many Broncos are out there anyway??

jackhart

:lolup
 

·
search, you #$%@! noob
Joined
·
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Crazed - you'll see from the posts on this thread - and others - that the top you, and I, and a whole lot of others, are looking for, is not out there. First off, it amazes me Ford built this thing and didn't offer a "proper" soft top for it. I mean, look at the variety of Heeps out there and what they have to choose from in soft top options. It's ridiculous.

I am thinking the only way to get what we want is to have it custom made, and that means it's probably going to be expensive. I will be taking the picture from the Can-Back top to show my canvas guy. I especially like the ability to add the wilderness rack on top. Very cool and most practical. Perhaps if he builds 2 of them the price will be lower - interested??

Jackhart

:toothless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Can-Back

I called Can-Back today and Dick told me their new top for late model Broncos will be available in 2 to 3 weeks.

Time to tell my wife how important it is that my Bronco has a soft top.....
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top